Need help selecting appropriate test

I'm currently trying to select the appropriate significance test and test of association and would really appreciate some help.

My independent variable is an ordinal subjective risk assessment (1-4) and the dependent is continuous (amount of data shared). I have yet to determine if I can use parametric stats, but as of yet the distribution does not appear normal, nor is variance homogeneous.
I would like to determine the strength of association between risk assessment and data shared. I would also like to determine whether or not those in each risk assessment category vary from one another. I therefore likely won't be able too use anova.

I had thought about using a chi-square, but chi-square does not take into account the rank. I also don't want to split my dependent variable into categories if I don't have to. I had also considered Spearman's Rho for the strength of association.

Am I thinking about this all wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
What is the correct statistical technique when using ordinal predictor variables and continuous outcome variables.