need help with hypotheses adn appropriate stats

I have some research questions but not sure which is the right stat to use. I will list the questions as I wrote them and then what I think I should use. Your suggestions welcome

DV: externalizing and internalizing behaviours (both continuous)
I.V. Narcisissim, self-debasing cognitive disortions,self-serving cognitive distortions (all continuous)

(1) What is the relationship between cognitive distortions and narcissism in the expression of externalizing and internalizing behaviours?
a) Do adolescents with higher levels of narcissism and higher levels of self- serving cognitive distortions self-report higher levels of externalization behaviours when compared to adolescents who self-report lower levels of narcissism and self-serving cognitive distortions?
I am thinking simple regression anaylsis potentially cog distortion mediating narcissism and externalization
b) Do adolescents with higher levels of narcissism and higher levels of self-debasing cognitive distortions self-report higher levels of internalizing behaviours when compared to adolescents who self-report lower levels of narcissism and self-debasing cognitive distortions?

(2) What is the relationship between narcissism in adolescents and the expression of aggressive behaviour?
a) Do adolescents with higher levels of narcissism engage in more aggressive behaviour than adolescents with lower levels of narcissism?

Correlation but would regression not at least give me the direction narcissism to aggression?

(3) What role does gender play in the expression of internalizing and externalizing behaviours among adolescents?
a) Does gender differentiate between the expression of internalizing behaviours among adolescents with higher levels of narcissism?
b) Does gender differentiate between the expressions of externalizing behaviour among adolescents with higher levels of narcissism?

I am not sure about this one suggestions? ANOVA? BTW only dichotomous variable is gender "higher levels of narcissism" are realtive to other participants.

I do apologize for such along email but I am not sure what to use MANOVAS, regression?

JohnM

TS Contributor
ANOVA and regression are basically the same thing - ANOVA is just a special case of the more general regression.

ANOVA* --> categorical IV and continuous DV
regression --> DV continuous, and IVs are continuous or a mix of categorical and continuous
chi-square --> IV and DV categorical
logistic regression --> IV continuous and DV categorical

*MANOVA could be used if you have multiple continuous DVs, AND it makes sense to combine the DVs in some way, i.e., through an equation or "linear combination" - if it doesn't make sense to combine them, then use a separate ANOVA on each DV

Rule of thumb - use the simplest method that will answer your research questions.