Need urgent help with choosing the right statistical measure for my study

Hello,

like mentioned in my title i need some help for choosing the right statistic procedure for my online study.

The topic of my study is gender-specific differences in aggressive behavior within a partnership, my hypotheses are:

1) Within a partnership there is a direct connection between gender and physical aggression: men are more likely to show physically aggressive behavior than women
2) There is a significant difference in indirect aggression between the sexes in the partnership: women prefer indirect aggression more than men
3) There is no significant difference in verbal aggression between men and women in partnerships

I was thinking of using independent sample t-tests but i was wondering if there are other possibilities to choose from.
Thank you in advance
Daniel

Karabiner

TS Contributor
2) There is a significant difference in indirect aggression between the sexes in the partnership: women prefer indirect aggression more than men
BTW, the term "signficance" ( I guess you mean statistical significance) should not be part of a substantial hypothesis.
Statistical tests of significance are tools for data analysis, not part of theoretical considerations.
I was thinking of using independent sample t-tests but i was wondering if there are other possibilities to choose from.
It depends on your research design (who was observed/assessed/surveyed when and how), on the type of data collected,
and on sample size.

With kind regards

Karabiner

Last edited:
BTW, the term "signficance" ( I guess you mean statistical significance) should not be part of a substantial hypothesis.
Statistical tests of significance are tools for data analysis, not part of theoretical considerations.
Thank you your answer.
I am using an validated self-report measure to assess aggression. Respondents simply rate each item on a 5-point scale ranging from “Not at all like me” to “Completely like me.”. The Sample Size is 153 and is almost equally split between men and women in a relationship.

Karabiner

TS Contributor
If the observations are independent (i.e. this is not a study on couples, but on individuals unrelated to each other),
you can indeed consider the Welch t-test (one should use the Welch correction by default).

Keep in mind that a no-difference hypothesis (hypothesis 3) can not easily be investigated using significance
tests. A non-statistical result does not mean that there is "no difference". It does only indicate that it was not
possible to reject the no-difference hypothesis. You would need an "equivalence test" approach here.

With kind regards

Karabiner

Hi Danielle. You have chosen a topic for research that is not easy) Here you need to carefully study the psychological relationship between a man and a woman. To get deeper into the subject, you can read Freud. I need this topic for nurse writing. After all, I am studying at a medical college and it is difficult for me to study. And the topic of the psychology of the relationship between a man and a woman is much closer to me than writing papers. I prefer practice

Last edited by a moderator:

Karabiner

TS Contributor
To delve deeper into the subject, you can read Freud.
Hey, that reminds us of a good ol' George Gershwin song

Doctor Freud and Jung and Adler, Adler and Jung and Freud
Six psychoanalysts we
Just let us make one diagnosis
We'll know was los is'
Visiting hours, 9 to 3

If you ever had the dream that Mrs. Grundy's
Always keeping her eye on you on Sund'ys
And you suddenly find you're standing in your undies
We are positive that you had better see
Six sex psychos we

If you've any mental problem that perplexes
If there's anything that's wrong with your reflexes
If you're really not certain as to which your sex is
We are positive that you had better see
Six sex psychos we

Karabiner

TS Contributor
Just a little remark: Supposing that your "significant" means statistically significant, I'd recommend to leave such a "significant" out of scientific hypotheses. It is something within the framework of testing, i.e. a tool, not a part of statements about realiity.

It depends on sample size; on how the variables were measured; and on the research design
(e.g. what were the includion criteria; were only individuals included, or male/female pairs;
is this a cross-sectional or a longitudinal design; were additional data collected, on relevant
aggression-related characteristics of the subjects, such as age, education, psychiatric illnesses,
psychotropic substance use etc.).

With kind regards

Karabiner