Nested Anova - Use sums instead of mean?

Dear all,

At the moment, I'm trying to do a 'Nested Anova'. I have several years (2004 to 2012) and four seasons. So a nested anova is called for correct?

I'm looking at carcass data. My dataset consists of the amount of carcasses found every 10 days. There are a lot of zero values, as I expect higher mortality (at the end) in certain seasons. Anova compares the means of each group, but I think that the 'mean found carcasses' is not really suitable (especially because of the many zero values). I would rather use the 'sum of carcasses' in each season for each year. However, that will result in one value for each subgroup.
As a back-up plan, are there any alternatives for nested anova?

I hope some could shed some light on this matter.
Many thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Nick

Thank you very much for your quick reply! I really appreciate it.

After your suggestion of the Poisson regression, I started to read more about it. The Poisson regression is more used for prediction models, correct?
I didn't mentioned it in my first post, but my goal is to see if there are any differences in mortality between the seasons or between the years. At first, I used an One-way Anova. However, my supervisor suggested a nested anova, because season is nested within year, and a one-way anova was not appropriate.

I am wondering now if the Poisson regression is also suitable for my seasons 'nested' in the years. Or is this not a problem any more?

Sorry for my doubts, but I'm just not certain yet about what to do.

Jake

Cookie Scientist
The Poisson regression is more used for prediction models, correct?
Not really, no.

I am wondering now if the Poisson regression is also suitable for my seasons 'nested' in the years. Or is this not a problem any more?
Poisson regression can handle datasets with nested structure by including random effects. The textbook I linked to above should discuss this.