one sample t-test alternative

Hello,

I hope someone can help me, because I am getting crazy with this. Imagine the following scenario: I have several participants. Each participant has 5 scores in 5 different items. The score in each question is either 1 (correct response) or 0 (incorrect response). Basically would be something like this:

P1 P2 P3 P4
1 1 1 1
1 1 1 0
1 1 0 0
1 0 0 0
0 0 0 0

What I want to explore is whether each participant mean score is bigger than 0.75 (Which would mean a good performance in the task). What can I do?
Thanks a lot!

Karabiner

TS Contributor
What I want to explore is whether each participant mean score is bigger than 0.75 (Which would mean a good performance in the task).
According to the title of the thread you want to determine
whether the mean rate of correct responses is > 0.75?

If the number of participants is large enough (n > 30 or
so), then t-test with expected value 0.75 should be possible.
Or, why do you seek for an alternative?

With kind regards

K.

According to the title of the thread you want to determine
whether the mean rate of correct responses is > 0.75?

If the number of participants is large enough (n > 30 or
so), then t-test with expected value 0.75 should be possible.
Or, why do you seek for an alternative?

With kind regards

K.
thanks for your reply. I look for an alternative because if you see the data are not normally distributed (I only have 0 and 1).

Karabiner

TS Contributor
According to your description, your dependent variable is not 0/1 but on a scale from 0 to 5
(total number of correct responses) or from 0.0 to 1.0 (total number of correct responses
divided by 5), respectively.

With kind regards

K.

So maybe I am overcomplicating this. Yes, my DV is the proprortion of correct responses for each participants. So yes, I think that as long as the data are normally distributed I can use a one sample t-test right?

Thanks

hlsmith

Omega Contributor
So far I am agreeing with Karabiner. Plot and test these data for normality to better understand the distribution.

Karabiner

TS Contributor
So maybe I am overcomplicating this. Yes, my DV is the proprortion of correct responses for each participants. So yes, I think that as long as the data are normally distributed I can use a one sample t-test right?

Thanks
If sample size is large enough, then the t-test is considered
robust against non-normality.

With kind regards

K.

By the way, something that I am not sure if it was clear enough is that I am treating each participant as a different measure: I don't want to explore whether the overall performance of all the participant is bigger than.75. I want to explore whether the score of each of the participants is bigger than .75. Don't know if this changes the thing...

Karabiner

TS Contributor
So you calculate the correct responses/all responses ratio
for each participant and look whether this is > 0.75 or
not. Then you can say how many subjects were > 0.75 or
<= 0.75, respectively.

With kind regards

K.

Thanks again. I think that the best is just to describe the results in terms of ratio.

Rogojel , basically I wanted something to powerful enough to support my hypotheses.

Thanks to both.

rogojel

TS Contributor
yes,
that is clear. The question is mre about what your hypothesis is. A t test would be appropriate if you had a hypothesis about a population of which your subjects woukd be a sample and you would want to prove that the population has a performance ratio of 0.75 or higher.

E.g. your population are all the (hypothetical) operators who received a certain kind of training - and you want to prove that the training has the effect of raising the test rate.

If your hypothesis is about each individual I believe a t-test wil not gve you the right answer, and possibly a false one, because it implicitely refers to a population and a sample of that population.

kind regards
rogojel

Each participant has 5 scores in 5 different items. The score in each question is either 1 (correct response) or 0 (incorrect response). Basically would be something like this:

P1 P2 P3 P4
1 1 1 1
1 1 1 0
1 1 0 0
1 0 0 0
0 0 0 0

What does these numbers represent? I can only see 4 columns. Is that 4 answers? Or is that 4 participants that has one row for each answer?

(In statistics it is more common to have each respondent=observation as one row and each column for each question.)

What I want to explore is whether each participant mean score is bigger than 0.75 (Which would mean a good performance in the task). What can I do?

For 5 questions I can imagine this number of correct answers: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

The proportion correct answers would be: 0, 0.20, 0.40, 0.60, 0.80, 1.00.

Why ask for proportion larger than 0.75?

Do theses questions differ in difficulty? So that question 1 only 10% would answer correct, while in question 5 maybe 70 could be correct?

- - -

Or is it that simple, to just count the number of correct answers an note that participant 1 has got 4 of 5 questions correct, thus 80%, and thus been "good"?