One-way ANOVA and planned comparisons - HELP!

Hi all,

I'm currently running a Psychology experiment: the effect of background music on memory and mood.

I will be using SPSS to conduct two one-way ANOVAs (music + mood / music + memory), w/ planned comparisons. However, I also want to see the effect of mood on memory but I don't know how to do this? (E.g. correlation?)

Any help would be much appreciated!
J

Last edited:

Karabiner

TS Contributor
Could you please describe your study (research question, how large is your sample size,
what were your factors/experimental manipulations, what were your dependent variables)?

With kind regards

K.

Hi K,

Thank you for your post.
This study is based on Bottiroli et al. (2014).
We are investigating:
1) The effect of background music on cognitive performance
2) The effect of background music on mood (that is, whether 'upbeat' music elicits a more positive mood - we hypothesize this will be the case)
3) We then want to see whether mood correlates to cognitive performance (whether a positive mood, as elicited by upbeat music, leads to better cognitive performance).

This study will utilise a within-subjects design, and we are counterbalancing using the 'latin square' technique. We have 30 participants.

Independent variable (IV): Type of music (3 levels)
- Upbeat Classical - Mozart
- Downbeat Classical - Mahler
- Silence (control)

Dependant variables (DV):
- Mood after music (as determined by a mood questionnaire)
- Memory recall (as determined by a the number of words they can recall from a word list)

Hope this helps,
J.

Karabiner

TS Contributor
3) We then want to see whether mood correlates to cognitive performance (whether a positive mood, as elicited by upbeat music, leads to better cognitive performance).
So you actually want to correlate performance with positive
mood only within the "upbeat" condition? If yes, a simple
regression would do the job, AFAICS. Or do you want to correlate
mood with performance across all 3 conditions? Or, do you even
want to analyse whether the effect of music on performance is
mediated by induced mood?

With kind regards

K.

do you want to correlate
mood with performance across all 3 conditions? Or, do you even
want to analyse whether the effect of music on performance is
mediated by induced mood?
This is where I am stuck on what to do, and unsure whether to correlate it or run further analysis.

I am inclined to go with the latter but don't know what statistical test would be used having not run an experiment like this before.

May I ask for your advice/opinion?

BW,
J.