Please Help HW.

A study undertaken by the Miami-Dade Supervisor of Elections in 2002 revealed that 44% of registered voters are Democrats, 37% are Republicans, and 19% are others. If two registered voters are selected at random, what is the probability that both of them have the same party affiliation (to 4 decimals)?

I'm not sure where to begin.
Dem .44
Rep .37
Others .19

Please explain so I can work on other similar problems.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Hi! :welcome: We are glad that you posted here! This looks like a homework question though. Our homework help policy can be found here. We mainly just want to see what you have tried so far and that you have put some effort into the problem. I would also suggest checking out this thread for some guidelines on smart posting behavior that can help you get answers that are better much more quickly.

Think about the following questions in the order in which they appear:

1. What is the probability of selecting one voter at random who is a Dem?
2. Having selected one Dem, what is the probability that the next randomly selected voter is also a Dem?
3. Therefore, what is the composite probability that two randomly selected voters are both Dems?
4. Consider Q1 to Q3 for Reps and for Other.
5. Which selection [path produces / paths produce] the outcome that the problem asks about?
6. What is the overall probability of selecting along [that path / any one of those paths]?

Last edited: