Please help Its urgent --Probability question

Re:

See "Bayes Theorem" and related posts on TalkStats. P(fault) = .05 = 1- P(no fault). P(favorable | no fault) = .8, P(favorable | fault) = .25. You seek P(fault|favorable).

:wave:

We are looking for P (default / favorable) = 0.05 * 0.8 + 0.95 * 0.25 = 0.2775.

Is the answer correct?? Please advise.. Thanks for your guidance and suggestion

Ok, my earlier answer was wrong, further study on Bayes theorem Gives me the following answer.

now let me know if its correct.. Am almost 100% sure that its correct...let me know if otherwise, thaks for your hints...

Last edited:
1 more question

On an average 240 airplanes arrive in the O’Hare airport in an hour. What is the probability that
(i) at least one airplane arrives during a ten-minute time span?
(ii) No planes arrive during a 10-minute time span?
(iii) No more than four airplanes arrive during a ten-minute time span?

I think we have to use Poisson Distribution over here, but what is mean here for a 10 minute time span, not able to get it. can you provide me with the hint.

Thanks... Appreciate your help

zmoggggg can u provide hint for the following

On an average 240 airplanes arrive in the O’Hare airport in an hour. What is the probability that
(i) at least one airplane arrives during a ten-minute time span?
(ii) No planes arrive during a 10-minute time span?
(iii) No more than four airplanes arrive during a ten-minute time span?

I think we have to use Poisson Distribution over here, but what is mean here for a 10 minute time span, not able to get it. can you provide me with the hint.

Re:

A nice thing about a Poisson random variable is that its intensity is dimensionally adjustable :D. lambda = L1/L2 = L1*a/L2*a = lambda2, and asking questions about a Poisson variable with intensity lambda is the same as with lambda2.

lambda = 40planes/10minutes -> P((X ~ Poisson(40/10)) >= 1). Repeat similar procedures for the other problems.

so u mean to say that lambada is 40 for this particualr problem??. like 240 / 6 (for a 10 min time interval) is what we did, but using 40 as lambada, we arent able to derive any values from the table

This thread's a bit long :O. Work on it and post answer if you'd like verification. You just need a calculator that can compute factorials and evaluate e^x to find poisson probabilities.

:wave:

ok so lambada value here =4

and for the following question

a) atleast 1 plane arrives during the 10-minute time span, the answer is

P (x>=1) = 1 - P (x=0)

P(x=0) = (4^0 * e^-4) / 0! = 0.0183

P (x>=1) = 0.9817

can u verify if the answer is correct

Also, if you can make me more understand, that lambada for 10 minute time span should be 40, and when we calculate lambada=4, it is for a 1 minute time span, why cant we use lambada as 40, as the question is for a 10 minute time span. please explain