Please help with the following question

A firm produces chains. The length of each link is independent of each other
and normally distributed. The mean length of a link is 10. 95% of all links have a length
between 9 and 11. The total length of each chain is the sum of the lengths of its links. You
consider chains with 100 links

2. How probable is it that such a chain has a total length between 900 and 1100? Answer is 1, but I don't understand the reasoning behind it
3. How probable is it that such a chain has a total length between 990 and 1010?
4. How probable is it that such a chain has a total length between 999 and 1001?

ondansetron

TS Contributor
How do you think the problem can be approached? We're happy to help with homework when an attempt is made.
Let's start basic: if you only had ONE (1) link, then what is the probability it's length is between 9 and 11? Between 9.9 and 10.1?

There are many ways to approach the problem, by the way.

Is the probability between just 95% for chains between 9 and 11?
I'm not sure how to approach without standard deviation.

Yes, here are my answers for the first two questions:
2. How probable is it that such a chain has a total length between 900 and 1100? .95
3. How probable is it that such a chain has a total length between 990 and 1010? .0796

Can you please provide the formula?

I just used the z-score of 1.96 for a 99% confidence interval to calculate the standard deviation, then used that to solve for the subsequent z-score and associated p-values.