Plotting 2 x-axes which correctly "line up" using PROC SGPLOT

I'm familiar with how to plot two difference x-axes in PROC SGPLOT, but it seems that, by default, for a given observation, values on one x-axis don't line up with values on the other x-axis. For example, in the attached figure, the plots of x1 and x2 should have the same "range" across the graph, since every observation in the data I used to make the figure has values for both x1 and x2. Can anyone offer a suggestion on how to get the plot of y vs x1 and y vs x2 to line up correctly? If this is not clear I'll try to clarify.

hlsmith

Not a robit
Probably have to define the range and ticks. It goes something like:

1 to 8 by 1;

You would need to define it for both axes. Upload your working code and I will jam it in and we can see if it works.

This is the code I used to make the figure I attached above:

Code:
proc sgplot data=data;
title 'plot';
loess x=X1 y=Y / nomarkers lineattrs=(color=black);
loess x=X2 y=Y / x2axis nomarkers lineattrs=(color=black);
label Y='Y';
run;

Last edited:
I improved it a little by defining the min and maximums, but the plots still don't line up perfectly
Code:
proc sgplot data=data;
title 'plot';
loess x=X1 y=Y / nomarkers lineattrs=(color=black);
loess x=X2 y=Y / x2axis nomarkers lineattrs=(color=black);
xaxis label='X1' min=0.0102389 max=2.2346154;
x2axis label='X2' min=0.10 max=2.45;
label Y='Y';
run;

hlsmith

Not a robit
Hmmm, try this addition:

Code:
[SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=#000080][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=#000080][B][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=#000080]proc [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][B][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000080]sgplot [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]data[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]=your_set;[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#008000][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#008000][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#008000]/*insert your specifics here*/[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]xaxis [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]values[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]=(0 [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]to 3 [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]by 0.5[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]);[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]yaxis [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]grid[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2];[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]x2axis [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]values[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]=(0 [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]to 3 [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]by 0.5[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]);[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]run[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2];[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

I tried adding that code (I set the max to 2.5 instead of 3), but the plot still don't seem to line up correctly, I had assumed that having the plots line up would be the default but I suppose not.

Just got it, thanks for the help. Apparently setting the (0 to 3 by 0.5) to be the minimum and maximum range for the data works, even though using the min= and max= options does not give the same effect, which I find weird.

Code:
proc sgplot data=test;
title 'plot';
loess x=X1 y=Y/ degree=2 nomarkers lineattrs=(color=black);
loess x=X2 y=Y/ degree=2 x2axis nomarkers lineattrs=(color=red);
label Y='Y';
label X1='X1';
label X2='X2';
xaxis values=(0.0102389 to 2.2346154 by 0.1);
yaxis grid;
x2axis values=(0.10 to 2.45 by 0.1);
run;

hlsmith

Not a robit
I must have been misinterpreting you question. I thought you just wanted the two X axes to be formatted the same as in post #7, though as seen in post #8, they seem to different but correct in your eyes. Are they on different scales? What is the context for the graph?

The two variables have different scales, but each observation in the data has a value for both variables, so I wanted to plot the relationship between both variables and Y simultaneously. In this case, one line shouldn't end before the other, since for any given value of x1 there must also be a corresponding value of x2.