[PoSt] Logistics

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
As it appears the torch for PoSt here at TS has been passed onto me, I thought I would take a moment to handle some logistics going forward.

(1) How many of you are interested in philosophy of statistics or the philosophy of science in general? I'd like to have an idea of a head count and to whom I'll be addressing.

(2) What sort of issues do you find most interesting and want to learn more about? I've tried to post some topic stuff that I come across in my RSS and news feeds in the earlier PoSt thread, but I'd like to get an idea about what interests you as opposed to merely spouting what interests me.

(3) What would you like to get out of a PoSt club? I've already mentioned that I've posted "current events," so to speak. I think being abreast of current pre-prints and such on relevant topics in the field is important. What else would you like to know? Spunky is interested in video discussions, and I plan to do some Vlogging of my own along with developing my own philosophy blog (again). Would you want a "book club" where we read or watch something for a week and discuss it?

I'm passionate about philosophy, so I'm always enthused to engage others in my passions. While I'm not particularly big on PoSt, it definitely overlaps many of my primary interests in the philosophy of science and philosophy of mathematics.

I'll also mention, I've noticed a new trend in philosophy as of late. I just read a book, Experimental Philosophy by Joshua Alexander, and it was basically a review of psychological research on intuitions in the context of philosophical methodology (our intuitions about philosophical concepts in ethics and metaphysics). It was interesting, and I was surprised to see a similar idea of using mathematics to review philosophy being taught in an upcoming class at Coursera: Mathematical Philosophy. This might be something to be aware of in the future of philosophy.

Jake

Cookie Scientist
1. I am interested in philosophy of science but haven't read too much about philosophy of statistics... the extent of my reading in the latter is basically the chapter by Elliot Sober that you sent me a while ago (which I am about halfway through--it's a hefty chapter!)

2. Within philosophy of science generally I am most interested in models of explanation, scientific realism vs. anti-realism, the philosophy of measurement, and the nature of evidence and confirmation (not necessarily in that order).

3. Keeping it light in terms of required time would have to be essential for me. I have a lot of other stuff on my plate. But I could probably spare a bit of time for videos.

spunky

Smelly poop man with doo doo pants.
(1) How many of you are interested in philosophy of statistics or the philosophy of science in general? I'd like to have an idea of a head count and to whom I'll be addressing.
i am very much interested in philosophy of statistics or philosophy of science. in my area there is a very nice overlap between philosophy of science and the use of test scores called 'validity theory'... which is basically trying to answer the question of what the heck do we get out from people filling-out questionnaires, surveys and tests... although, to be honest, i find validity theory dry, boring and of little practical use beyond the three or four people who do research on it so i wouldn't mind too much if you didn't talk about it at all

(2) What sort of issues do you find most interesting and want to learn more about? I've tried to post some topic stuff that I come across in my RSS and news feeds in the earlier PoSt thread, but I'd like to get an idea about what interests you as opposed to merely spouting what interests me.
just as Jake, the philosophy of measurement is of interest to me, although i'm really into the philosophy of mathematics, particularly anything that relates to the ontology of mathematical entities. causal models (and their overlap with statistical models) are, of course, what i like to read about the most

(3) What would you like to get out of a PoSt club? I've already mentioned that I've posted "current events," so to speak. I think being abreast of current pre-prints and such on relevant topics in the field is important. What else would you like to know? Spunky is interested in video discussions, and I plan to do some Vlogging of my own along with developing my own philosophy blog (again). Would you want a "book club" where we read or watch something for a week and discuss it?
just as with Jake (although it was my idea :p) i think it comes a time for anyone who's into academia when you realize you simply can't read as much as you can of everything you want. you need to prioritize. which is why i mentioned that having videos, podcasts, radio stuff, anything you can listen to while doing something else would be greatly appreciated. that collection of videos of hilary putnam on youtube, for example, was beautiful, enlightening AND i could listen to it while doing the dishes at home :)

CowboyBear

Super Moderator
Me!

+1 for philosophy of measurement. Like spunky, validity theory is something that's relevant to my line of work, though not exactly something I get enthused about.

I'm also particularly interested in different interpretations of probability (e.g., Bayesian vs frequentist).

I'm not picky, really - stimulating discussions in any format sound good to me!

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Thank you all for the responses. There is plenty of philosophy of science out there to talk about, and a number of things you all mentioned are of interest to me. I'll see what I can dig up.

I think it's a general consensus here, not surprising, that measurement is a hot topic. I'm not up on this whole validity issue, but that's probably because I'm surrounded by psychologists :p

I'll follow-up with trying to identify resources, but that may be something we can all contribute to: a resource pool. If you find philosophers (on twitter, facebook, etc.), or websites (including professor's), or whatever that provides literature, podcasts, lectures, etc., then let's start listing them out. Having places to look for new information (or give me a place to scour the archives) will help us find nuggets of philosophical gold!

noetsi

Fortran must die
I am interested in it. I doubt I will understand much. I studied, long ago, issues of research theory such as how knowledge is generated, its meaning etc. But we never touched on statistics.

PoSt Logistics

My post was deleated, but I wasnt added to any of the games that I posted. I realize I dont have 100 posts, but I was under the impression, being a subscriber bipassed that.

Thanks,
R