Posterior Distribution

Suppose I have \(X_{1}..X_{n}\) which are i.i.d as Bernoulli random variables with \(P(X_{i} = 1) = \frac{e^\theta}{1+e^\theta}\) and the prior is normal with mean 0 and variance 100. How can I find the posterior distribution if the number of \(X_{i}\) equal to one is 5 and n is 16?

What do I use for the likelihood here? Do I differentiate \(\frac{e^\theta}{1+e^\theta}\) since it's CDF of logistic distribution or do I use the pdf of a bernoulli?

The question confuses me :(

Last edited:

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
If I told you P(Xi = 1) = p then what would the likelihood be? Ok now substitute \(\frac{e^\theta}{1 + e^\theta}\) in for p and you have your likelihood.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
What? The likelihood would be a binomial distribution: (16 choose 5) * p^5 (1-p)^11 and replace p with the quantity above.

BGM

TS Contributor
If you have a point mass prior, you are "not Bayesian" :p

Anyway back to OP problem, since they are not in a conjugate class, so after using the Bayes theorem to write down the posterior, not much can be simplified.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
If you have a point mass prior, you are "not Bayesian" :p
Why not? You're just a very confident Bayesian. We do it all the time when we actually set what we think some of the hyperparameters are - this is equivalent to giving them a point mass prior.

BGM

TS Contributor
The combinatoric coefficient in the front is not important. You will cancel it anyway. You can also think the sample condition on the parameter is just Bernoulli.

If Bernoulli has PMF \(\theta^{X_{i}} (1-\theta)^{1-X_{i}}\) and I find the product of this to get the likelihood function of theta, then where does N choose Xi come into it?

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Because you don't know the order that the successes came. There is only 1 way to order having no successes. There are 16 ways to have 1 success... it's the same argument as in the development of the binomial distribution. Mainly because it is a binomial distribution.

Hi again, I have found the posterior to be \(e^{5\theta - \frac{\theta^2}{200}} (1+e^{\theta})^{-16}\)

Is this correct? And also, now I need to use use a normal prior as the proposal density and describe a rejection sampler for sampling from this posterior density, any ideas on how to do that?

Last edited:

BGM

TS Contributor
Yes, you are correct to say the posterior pdf is proportional to the function you have found.

Have you learn the rejection sampling?

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
You can use whatever way to get a sample from the posterior you want. Unless it's for an assignment and your teacher is requiring you to obtain the sample a certain way.