Primer-e software again!!!

Hi

Currently I'm working with the program PRIMER, therefore I learned from youtube videos.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...X18dkQppJfcrYW

I have asked the owner of the video, but on questions about this, he could not explain further via email.
I want to ask about the "factors", the video "preliminary work" I look at the data shows factor description of the sampling sites Zone and Location.
In the video "biological transforming the data in PRIMER", these factors show the "label" and "Sal", if not wrong guess, "label" is a description of the species and factors "Sal" is the salinity in the range of 1-9.
How compiling data that will be used as 'factors' before entering PRIMARY?
How does the salinity grouping so that it gets the range of 1-9?
then what is the basis for determining the salinity factor as the only factor grouping being entered into the analysis ?, whether two or more factors can be incorporated into the Factors?
In explanation of his own PRIMER, factors serve to identification of the samples into groups, which I do not understand about this factors placement of the grouping in the data file (Excel) is like so when PRIMARY factor opens the data file has been recorded.

bugman

Super Moderator
How compiling data that will be used as 'factors' before entering PRIMARY?
How does the salinity grouping so that it gets the range of 1-9?
then what is the basis for determining the salinity factor as the only factor grouping being entered into the analysis ?, whether two or more factors can be incorporated into the Factors?
In explanation of his own PRIMER, factors serve to identification of the samples into groups, which I do not understand about this factors placement of the grouping in the data file (Excel) is like so when PRIMARY factor opens the data file has been recorded.
I don't have time to watch the video, but I'll try and answer your question the best I can:

1) Your data should be in a row x column format. Leave a space after your response variables and then list you factors (I have uploaded and example spreadsheet)
2) The salinity group sounds like an arbitrary dummy variable coded something like: 0-20 = 1, 20-50= 2 and so on.
3) I'm not sure about your question, but it sound like he may have left other factors out to keep the video tutorial simple and for demonstration purposes only. The number of factors used is limitless in theory, but you use the ones that you hypothesis are likely to be important in your study.

I don't have time to watch the video, but I'll try and answer your question the best I can:

1) Your data should be in a row x column format. Leave a space after your response variables and then list you factors (I have uploaded and example spreadsheet)
2) The salinity group sounds like an arbitrary dummy variable coded something like: 0-20 = 1, 20-50= 2 and so on.
3) I'm not sure about your question, but it sound like he may have left other factors out to keep the video tutorial simple and for demonstration purposes only. The number of factors used is limitless in theory, but you use the ones that you hypothesis are likely to be important in your study.

I still have problems with the format of the data that will be processed on the PRIMER . Like the pictures that I attach , I do not have any idea about the format of the data from the analysis . Figure shows the distribution of fish , a) fish assemblage density and b ) number of fish species, but c) (it's my work) is in PRIMARY option to show the bubbles. Of the existing options ( the red mark ) , the bubble can only display one sample / variable . So , any idea about the format of the data that can display the results of the analysis as shown in figure A and B ?

bugman

Super Moderator
Create two more columns and call them "total fish" and "number of species" - here you put total fish numbers and the number of species use this as the indicator in your bubble plot. Click on scale to adjust the scaling range.

You can also try using the numbers as labels option for more flexibility.