probability with mean and standard deviation

The local hardware store sells screws in 1lb bags. Because the screws aren't identical, the number of screws per bag, although distributed normally,varies with a μ=115, and σ=6.

A carpenter needs a total of 590 screws for a particular project. What is the probability that he will have enough screws if he buys five bags?

--

I don't know why I have trouble calculating even the simplest probability problems, but they always confuse me. I've been trying to figure out how to do it but nothing that I get makes sense! I'm frustrated and I need to get the correct answer by tonight.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be eternally grateful!

Thanks.

Dragan

Super Moderator
The local hardware store sells screws in 1lb bags. Because the screws aren't identical, the number of screws per bag, although distributed normally,varies with a μ=115, and σ=6.

A carpenter needs a total of 590 screws for a particular project. What is the probability that he will have enough screws if he buys five bags?

--

I don't know why I have trouble calculating even the simplest probability problems, but they always confuse me. I've been trying to figure out how to do it but nothing that I get makes sense! I'm frustrated and I need to get the correct answer by tonight.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be eternally grateful!

Thanks.

The key is that you have to add the population means and variances. That is, if the carpenter buys 5 bags then distriubtion will be normally distributed with Mu=575 and Sigma^2 = 180.

As such, use the usual transformation to find the probability i.e.

Z = (590 - 575) / Sqrt [ 180 ].

Thanks, Dragan!

This is what I got:
Z = (590 - 575) / Sqrt [ 180 ]= 1.11

Looked up the z-score of 1.11 in the Unit Normal Table in the back of my text book and the proportion that I got that corresponds to that z-score(i used the proportion in the tail) is .1335.

So, the probability that he will have enough screws if he buys five bags=.1335

Is this correct?

Dragan

Super Moderator
Thanks, Dragan!

This is what I got:

Looked up the z-score of 1.11 in the Unit Normal Table in the back of my text book and the proportion that I got that corresponds to that z-score(i used the proportion in the tail) is .1335.

Is this correct?
Yes, on second thought, you're interpretation is the correct one.:)

Last edited:
Please why did you use the variance to calculate the standard deviation and not standard deviation divided by square root of 5. Again when I checked 1.11 against the z table answer is 0.8665 whereas -1.11 is 0.1335 but, the result you got is not minus 1.11.
Please could you clarify. Thank u.

Thanks, Dragan!

This is what I got:

Is this correct?