PROC SQL runs slow (or doesn't run)

I have a very basic query

Code:
PROC sql inobs =10;
Select * from table
I just want to get a basic result out so I can understand the table and even this doesn't run after 30 minutes.

Is there something that is happening under the hood that can cause it to take a long time to run? Even if it is a large table, it should still run fairly quickly since I limited to 10 observations right?

Not really sure where to go in terms of troubleshoot

Your code is incomplete. Specifically, you’re missing a terminating semicolon and the “quit” statement that instructs SAS that it must close proc sql when it’s done retrieving data. Thus, your code should be:
Code:
proc	sql inobs = 10;
	select * from table;
quit;
The above code will display the first 10 observations from a dataset called “table” that lives in your “work” library in SAS’s output window.

Your code is incomplete. Specifically, you’re missing a terminating semicolon and the “quit” statement that instructs SAS that it must close proc sql when it’s done retrieving data. Thus, your code should be:
Code:
proc	sql inobs = 10;
	select * from table;
quit;
The above code will display the first 10 observations from a dataset called “table” that lives in your “work” library in SAS’s output window.
Thanks. I had the semi colon in the code, but just forgot to put it in this post. I did not have the quit command though.

Would not having a 'quit' cause the code to run for a long time?

noetsi

Fortran must die
There is lots of things that can cause PROC SQL to run slow. Large numbers of columns, your connection to where the data is stored etc. For example if you don't have the right add on software and you are connecting to a large table over a server PROC SQL simply won't work. You need to purchase the add on software.