R + Mint (open R with wd of startup dir)

trinker

ggplot2orBust
I recently migrated from windows to linux mint + cinnamon. There's a habit I picked up as a windows user I like that I'd like to replicate but can't. I like this for my work flow though you make think it's silly. But the question is can I do this in mint. In this video: http://www.dangoldstein.com/flash/Rtutorial2/Rtutorial2.html

The first minute or so shows a hack for putting an R short cut in a folder and then changing the start in path to the path of the folder the R shortcut is in. I create a different folder for different clients/jobs and may put various .Rprofiles in there and all the data etc. In any event I'd like to recreate this habit (even if you think its dumb) with mint. Is this possible? If so how do I go about doing this?

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
You want to start R with a working directory? If you do things project-based, then use R projects in RStudio. It does that for you and is a great way to organize your work. It's what I do at work and in my own workspace. Otherwise, R starts up (in the terminal) wherever your terminal is located when executed. Your short-cut is nothing more than a command. I'm not sure how things are laid out in Mint, but in Ubuntu you can go to your "windows" equivalent button, settings, and then "main menu" (or if the launcher is on some panel, you can right-click and go to properties). Navigate to the short-cut as it appears in your main menu (and this is where you'd set up your applications in your menu) and view its properties. You get a window for the launcher that includes two important things: the command being executed by the launcher that launches the program (so you can do things like set flags and stuff) and the working directory where you want it to start in.

I put a screen shot of what the launcher looks like in your dropbox folder.

trinker

ggplot2orBust
No I use Rstudio but for some tasks I like the Rgui. It's lightweight and I like being able to really control where I put the windows. I currently use Rstudio 2/3 of my work time.

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Yeah, I use R inside the terminal when I'm just toying around. If I'm doing real work, it's in RStudio. Love it. Easy to control most things I care about and only getting better! Speaking of which, I need to upgrade at work.

bugman

Super Moderator
How are you finding it by the way trinker?
I was using mate in MINT 13 because there was a bug in cinnamon that meant my desktop was completely blank. Looking to update to 14 soonish, but I tend to wait a wee while after the release to see how it goes.