R Squared and dummy variables

Hey,
If you changed your model from one variable to a number of dummy variables, would the R^2 increase considerably, supposing that the dummy variables helped to create a more accurate estimate of the dependent variable?

Thanks

hlsmith

Omega Contributor
Your question is not clear. So you are conducting linear regression and have a continuous predictor that you may discretize? Now your question is how it will impact the R^2 value for the model. Is that your question?

We can talk about it, but I would recommend to first do it and report your findings. This will likely answer some of the basic question about what you are actually working with.

Karabiner

TS Contributor
If you changed your model from one variable to a number of dummy variables, would the R^2 increase considerably, supposing that the dummy variables helped to create a more accurate estimate of the dependent variable?
I'd guess that this could happen in case of a nonlinear relationship between the predictor and the dependent variable.

With kind regards

K.

@evelyn13
Seemingly the OP didn't mean dichotomization, but multiple dummies.

I'd guess that this could happen in case of a nonlinear relationship between the predictor and the dependent variable.

With kind regards

K.

@evelyn13
Seemingly the OP didn't mean dichotomization, but multiple dummies.
True sorry...my points still stand though (including the link I attached).