R [ugly] and R [studio]

ondansetron

TS Contributor
Not sure the official name of the ugly bare-bones syntax interface for R, sorry.

If I install/update a package in the R[ugly] is it automatically installed/carried into R studio?

If not, is there an easy way to make this happen?

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
You're probably thinking Windows-centric and are talking about installing stuff via RGui. As long as it's the same version of R that RStudio is referencing and they're both pointing to the same libraries then yes it should carry over.

If that isn't happening and you are using the same version/installation of R then there might be something going on to change your .libPaths()

Is that something that is happening to you?

ondansetron

TS Contributor
I honestly haven't learned or started using R enough to know! I can never find how to update the R ugly (is it called Gui?), only the packages installed. With R, consider me someone who basically downloaded it and tried to create some objects 1-2 times so far. I've installed many more packages than times I've used the software.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
I would say it's not quite right to call "ugly R" as "base R". That's because "base R" is there regardless of what you're using to interact with R. However, "RGui" is probably what is being referred to as "ugly R" because it's ugly af.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
I think you're the one getting it mixed up hlsmith. "base R" refers to the base installation. This is different than RGui which is the "default" ui on Windows.

hlsmith

Not a robit
Yeah that is probably right, but i think people who dont use studio probably just think they are us ing base. Semantics in my mind.

You're probably thinking Windows-centric and are talking about installing stuff via RGui. As long as it's the same version of R that RStudio is referencing and they're both pointing to the same libraries then yes it should carry over.

If that isn't happening and you are using the same version/installation of R then there might be something going on to change your .libPaths()

Is that something that is happening to you?
me too