Random Odds and Percentage Question

Hi Everyone,

I have a random question related to odds and percentage that I can't figure out. Does this statement in terms of the percentage difference sound true? "The odds for students in group A to graduate are 5.03 (11,734 group A students graduate and 2330 do not) and the odds for group B students to graduate are 4.33 (3222 group B students graduate and 743 do not). Thus, the odds for for graduating for group A students are 16% higher than the odds for group B students."

Are the odds really 16% higher. I can not wrap my head around this to determine how it is a 16% difference however I suspect the statement is true.

Thanks so much for any help or assistance.

TJS

hlsmith

Not a robit
Look up the odds ratio formula. Yes, the odds for graduating in group A are 16 percent higher than the odds for graduating in group B.

Look up the odds ratio formula. Yes, the odds for graduating in group A are 16 percent higher than the odds for graduating in group B.
Hello and thank you!!! I have been reading on the odds ration formula and can not find any explanation on how to get it two work for my problem. Specifically how the odds for group b are 16 percent higher. Is there a calculator that anyone know's of to plug in the numbers and get the percentage or something along those lines.

Thanks again!

TJS

maartenbuis

TS Contributor
You can look at the formula for odds ratio, but you can also directly answer your question by looking at the odds. You asked if and odds of 5.03 is 16% larger than an odds of 4.33. So lets see:

\(
\frac{5.03-4.33}{4.33}\approx 0.16
\)