Ratio of two random variables squared

TimC

Dear all,

Does anyone know where i can find the PDF for the the following Z:

Z = (X^2) / (Y^2), X and Y are zero mean Gaussian variables with standard deviations sigma_x and signma_y (X, Y independent and uncorrelated).

I know that X^2 and Y^2 are chi-squared but i have not been able to find a PDF of their ratio

Also, is there a formula for:

E{Z} and Var{Z}.

Many thanks for any help

cheers

Tim

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Related but not directly the answer is that the ratio of two independent standard normal random variables is Cauchy distributed

If you divide the numerator RV by its degrees of freedom (n) and the denominator RV by its degrees of freedom (d), the result is F (n,d)

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
So a few fun facts: A Cauchy distribution is the same as a T distribution with 1 degree of freedom. If you square a T distribution with k degrees of freedom it has the same distribution as a F(1, k) distribution. So F(1,1) is the same as the square of a T with 1 degree of freedom which is the same as a Cauchy that has been squared.

With that fun stuff out of the way - you still need to deal with your variances since all of those fun facts come from standard normals. Luckily you already have mean 0 so all you need to do is divide your random variables by their standard deviations.

Z = (X^2) / (Y^2) = ( (X/sd_x) * sd_x)^2 / ( (Y/sd_y) * sd_y)^2 = ( (X/sd_x)^2 / (Y/sd_y)^2) * (sd_x^2/sd_y^2). And that first component has a F(1,1) distribution. So you're looking at a F(1,1) scaled by sd_x^2 / sd_y^2

TimC

Dason and Buckeye. Thanks for your help. The scaling process seems to work - i confirmed using simulations. You have assisted me in making progress in this topic.

cheers