Regression with skewed data

noetsi

Fortran must die
Our data is highly skewed, so much so that we routinely report median values not average ones in descriptive models. Now I am running regression with an interval variable I know will be skewed. I was wondering [given that I prefer not to transform variables if possible] if there was a regression that used medians rather than averages and what the good and bad points of doing this are?

I know there are regression that work with medians, but I have never worked in this area.

CowboyBear

Super Moderator
Great that you're cautious about transformation. But haven't we talked a fair bit here about the fact that regression does not assume a normally distributed DV? Are your errors highly skewed? Is your sample very small?

That aside, I think the technique you're thinking of might be quantile regression?

vinux

Dark Knight
Our data is highly skewed, so much so that we routinely report median values not average ones in descriptive models. Now I am running regression with an interval variable I know will be skewed. I was wondering [given that I prefer not to transform variables if possible] if there was a regression that used medians rather than averages and what the good and bad points of doing this are?

I know there are regression that work with medians, but I have never worked in this area.
You need to see how the residual is distributed.