RMSE versus parameter estimate

Dear all,

A basic question about the comparison of RMSE value and parameter estimate. I got the point that RMSE value and parameter estimate are not correlated to each other and that a parameter estimate smaller in value than the RMSE value can still be significant for the model.

But still, I am wondering if we can consider a parameter with a parameter estimate value (let's say 2) lower than the RMSE (let's say 2.5) ?

Could we conclude that a parameter estimate lower than the RMSE value is a negligible effect on response ?

I think my confusion starts with the fact that I consider these two values as being a part of the same dimensionality (the response dimensionality - Y)... So, I consider these two values as to be comparable.

Many thanks,
Huge

Hi Dason,
Sorry I do not get your question... This post rises in the context where I built a model, and let's say two predictors are significant, but one of these predictors has a parameter estimate value lower than the RMSE value.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
So to answer the question directly. In general the answer is no. Especially talking about estimated slopes in a model. You can change the slopes just by changing the scale you measure the predictor on so a direct comparison doesn't make any sense.