Sample Size Calculations with JMP

Hello,

I have used the sample size calculator of JMP for a single proportion. I need to add to my report the formula "I used" (JMP did). I couldn't find it in the JMP manual. Does anyone know how the JMP calculates a sample size for a single proportion, given the real known proportion, the hypothesized proportion, the significance level and the power ?

thank you

BGM

TS Contributor
You can derive it.

If you know the hypothesized proportion and the significance level, you know the rejection region in terms of the sample size \( n \)

Under this rejection rule, if you know the power and the real known proportion, you can solve the \( n \) out.

thanks for the hint, but I am afraid I have no clue how to do this...was looking for a link for the equation, but nothing came up.

what confuses me is how the power comes in. I know how to derive n from a CI formula for example, but not like this...

I found a formula, the delta doesn't fit, it belongs to CI...if I remove it I get similar results to JMP, or is it just a coincidence...

I have no idea how to derive it like you suggested.

Last edited:

BGM

TS Contributor
Ok do you know how to do the proportion test with normal approximation? with significance level \( \alpha \), hypothesized proportion \( p_0 \) and sample size \( n \)