SAS 9.4: PROC IMPORT for .xlsx (what happened to F1, F2, F3, ...?)

Mean Joe

TS Contributor
I am not liking SAS 9.4, wish I could stay with 9.2.

Anyone have a workaround for these problems?

Background on my .xlsx: column headings start with numbers, eg 9220184.
That is a SNP number, so I plan to write code to append "rs" to the beginning of the name. But I cannot import the whole file.

1) The import wizard is not liking .xlsx format. Help (http://blogs.sas.com/content/sasdummy/2012/05/01/64-bit-gotchas/)?
CONNECTION FAILED: See Log for details.
ERROR: Connect: Class not registered
ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.

I try some other things...

2) Usually I use PROC IMPORT with DBMS=EXCELCS (one of those darn SAS 9.4 changes). I've also tried DBMS=XLSX and DBMS=XLS.
But one of the problems I'm having is that SAS won't read the variable names as you know, 9220184 is an invalid SAS name so SAS changes it to _220184.

3) So I try GETNAMES=NO option, but not available with certain DBMS= options. And I try OPTIONS validvarname=any statement. In the rare times that these statements are accepted by the different SAS DBMS= options, I get the other problem: SAS only importing 255 columns. And this problem, I give up on trying to solve. Any workarounds to suggest? Specifically looking for SAS code; don't bother suggesting any file manipulations.

Mean Joe

TS Contributor
I forgot to add: When I use the GETNAMES=NO option here, the variables get named "A","B",..."Z","AA",...
Which is really a pain; I prefer them to be named F1, F2, F3, ... like in older SAS.

noetsi

Fortran must die
Probably not a work around you will want to use, but I don't think enterprise guid has this issue. I have SAS 9.4 and EG 6.1 which I believe uses 9.4 (it uses whatever version you have and I have 9.4). I regularly import XLSX files into EG with no problems. Any code you do in 9.4 you can do in EG simply by creating a code window. Then code whatever you were going to do.

I knew programers who programed in EG, while never using the GUI, simply because they preferred the EG editor. Essentially a code window is just an editor - which does not use the GUI at all as far as I know.

hlsmith

Not a robit
My license comes with EG, but it always goes so slow. Sorry, no help, I have had a copy of 9.4 unistalled next to my desk for a year. Dang admin rights and time to install!!! Yeah, go ol F1,..,Fi :)

noetsi

Fortran must die
With some very rare exceptions my EG runs fast (I don't use 9.4 outside EG enough to know how they compare, but they could hardly be faster). However, I rarely run the more complex forms of stats, mainly I use EFA or some form of regression, rarely ARIMA or ESM.

I found a link that says this for 9.4. I doubt it matters, but figure I would show it.

By specifying DBMS=EXCEL, the IMPORT procedure can read any version of these files that are saved in Microsoft Excel workbooks. If you specify DBMS=XLSX, the IMPORT procedure can read only EXCEL2007 or later versions of the files that are saved in Microsoft Excel workbooks.

I had the same exact problem when I was trying to run (in 9.4) the code I had written for 9.2.

I saw that others suggested SAS Enterprise Guide (EG) as a solution, but I haven't had luck with that. Also, I have also tried what 'noetsi' suggested, "By specifying DBMS=EXCEL, the IMPORT procedure can read any version of these files that are saved in Microsoft Excel workbooks. If you specify DBMS=XLSX, the IMPORT procedure can read only EXCEL2007 or later versions of the files that are saved in Microsoft Excel workbooks." That didn't work for me either.

Have you found a solution to the problem? If so, can you post it?

Many thanks!

I am not liking SAS 9.4, wish I could stay with 9.2.

Anyone have a workaround for these problems?

Background on my .xlsx: column headings start with numbers, eg 9220184.
That is a SNP number, so I plan to write code to append "rs" to the beginning of the name. But I cannot import the whole file.

1) The import wizard is not liking .xlsx format. Help (http://blogs.sas.com/content/sasdummy/2012/05/01/64-bit-gotchas/)?
CONNECTION FAILED: See Log for details.
ERROR: Connect: Class not registered
ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.

I try some other things...

2) Usually I use PROC IMPORT with DBMS=EXCELCS (one of those darn SAS 9.4 changes). I've also tried DBMS=XLSX and DBMS=XLS.
But one of the problems I'm having is that SAS won't read the variable names as you know, 9220184 is an invalid SAS name so SAS changes it to _220184.

3) So I try GETNAMES=NO option, but not available with certain DBMS= options. And I try OPTIONS validvarname=any statement. In the rare times that these statements are accepted by the different SAS DBMS= options, I get the other problem: SAS only importing 255 columns. And this problem, I give up on trying to solve. Any workarounds to suggest? Specifically looking for SAS code; don't bother suggesting any file manipulations.

noetsi

Fortran must die
I am really amazed you could not import it into EG. I have never encountered this issue and I import xlsx. files all the time. What happens when you try?