simple count - type of data

Hi everyone
If I have data which is in the form of a count - in this case number of words recalled under two different conditions - is this nominal, ordinal or interval data?

There is a total of 50 words which could be recalled so the data range is 0-50. I thought this was ratio data but my tutor says as it is a simple count it is nominal and I have to convert it to a percentage before running parametric tests. I don't understand why this is the case.

Can anyone help?

gianmarco

TS Contributor
In my opinion, you have two categorical variables: words recalled (with 50 levels, 1 for each word) and condition type (with 2 levels).
Besides understanding what type of data you are dealing with, it would help knowing your research question or analytical goal.

Best
Gm

AngleWyrm

Let's say I'm a test subject, and I recall 15 words. That information alone isn't very informative until we also include the fact there are 50 words. Then we have a proportion: 15 out of 50 words = 15/50 = 3/10 = 30% of the total words.

Just a simple t-test between the two groups to see the difference in recall between them. But I am told the data as it stands (number of words recalled out of 50) is "nominal level" and therefore does not meet parametric assumptions so it must be converted into a percentage before running the t-test. This did not fit with my prior understanding of nominal, ordinal, interval and ratio data so I am trying to understand!

In my opinion, you have two categorical variables: words recalled (with 50 levels, 1 for each word) and condition type (with 2 levels).
Besides understanding what type of data you are dealing with, it would help knowing your research question or analytical goal.

Best
Gm

Let's say I'm a test subject, and I recall 15 words. That information alone isn't very informative until we also include the fact there are 50 words. Then we have a proportion: 15 out of 50 words = 15/50 = 3/10 = 30% of the total words.
Thanks for your reply - I understand what you are saying but I am not entirely sure how it relates to parametric testing. I have been told to convert the "nominal level data" (number of words recalled out of 50) into parametric data in order to run a t-test. Do you know why I can't just run a t-test on the data as it is? And why does making it a % make it parametric? In effect, the figures are just doubled in this case e.g. 25 words recalled out of 50 is 50%. I appreciate any explanation as I am struggling to get this.

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
What is the study purpose? Tell us the goal of the project - so we aren't the blind leading the blind.

IMHO - this actually seems like count data that should be examined using Poisson regression.

Miner

TS Contributor
Counts are counts, not nominal. You can have binary, nominal or ordinal 'categories' with counts for each category. Counts would normally follow a Poisson distribution, but with 50 possible levels, it becomes pseudo-continuous data and you should be able to use a t-test. You could also convert it to a percentage and use a test for 2 proportions or an Analysis of Means (ANOM) for binomial data, or leave it as count data and perform an ANOM for Poisson data.