Simple effects for interaction term: Proc Reg

noetsi

Fortran must die
By simple effects I mean analyzing the impact of a main effect at some specific level of the other variables in the model. I use it, in other software, for analyzing interaction effects. Some SAS Procs use this, but I can't find anything that does simple effects for proc reg.

I know I can always make the data do this before I import it into Proc Reg, but that is slow.

While I am dreaming, anyone know how to generate effect plots in proc reg? GENMOD and LOGISTICS does this, but strangely PROC REG does not [or I have not found that yet]:p

noetsi

Fortran must die
A sign I have mainly been doing proc logistics recently, I forgot proc reg uses no class statement.

The reason I was reluctant to use GLM was that it was, I thought, an ANOVA proc and did not generate slopes [I know you can create slopes from the results, but I generally try to avoid ANOVA because the differences between it and regression confuse me at times even if in theory they are the same method]. I will look into it.

This is how you do simple effects in PROC GLM [here you are interested in the impact of A on Y at levels of B - I am not sure how this works when B is an interval variable].

PROC GLM data=twoway;
Class AB;
Model Y = A B A*B;
Run;

Lsmeans A*B/Slice=B;
Run;

hlsmith

Not a robit
Code:
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]ods [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]graphics [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]on[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2];[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000080]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000080][B]proc [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][B][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000080]genmod [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]data[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]=Dataset;[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2] 
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
 [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]class[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2] X1 X2 ([/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]ref[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]=first) / [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]param[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]=ref;;[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]model[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2] Y=X1 X2 X1*X2;[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]effectplot[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2] / [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]obs[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2];[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]effectplot[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2] interaction([/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]x[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]=X2 [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]sliceby[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]=X1) / [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]limits [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]noobs[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]  connect;[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000080]
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000080][B]run[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2];[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]ods [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]graphics [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]off[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2];[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

hlsmith

Not a robit
Did you have data to plug into the code? The effects plot provides the standard display of disordinal lines (crossover of slopes) .

Share if you learn anything that is neat.

noetsi

Fortran must die
I don't have one yet. I hope to have one by next week because I am working on a project. I will post anything I can...

Note this comment from PROC GLM code:

Least squares means (LS-means) are computed for each effect listed in the LSMEANS statement. You can specify only classification effects in the LSMEANS statement—that is, effects that contain only classification variables.
It appears that none of the variables in this, or in the slice statement can be an interval variable. That is annoying as some of the variables I want to test will be interval variables.

Also SLICE=(fixed-effects)
specifies effects within which to test for differences between interaction LS-mean effects. This can produce what are known as tests of simple effects (Winer; 1971). For example, suppose that A*B is significant and you want to test for the effect of A within each level of B. The appropriate LSMEANS statement is

lsmeans A*B / slice=B
https://support.sas.com/documentati...TML/default/viewer.htm#statug_glm_sect016.htm

noetsi

Fortran must die
As far as I can tell neither PROC GLM nor PROC GENMODE allow you to do diagnostic tests such as VIF, or testing the residuals. That is a serious oversight to me, I am not sure if you can run models in PROC GLM and inspect the diagnostics in PROC REG (for example because of class variables which are handled differently in the two approaches).

Anyone know how you test the assumptions in PROC GLM. It does not appear that PROC GLM even appears in Enterprise Guide, it uses PROC GENMODE instead.

noetsi

Fortran must die
It turns out in PROC GLM that you can run TOLERANCE on the MODEL line to get tolerance for MC [but not apparently VF]. PROC GLM does not automatically generated residuals for unequal error variance, but you create them yourself by plotting the fitted values and the studentized residuals.

OUTPUT = outfile1 STUDENT=sr P=fitted;

I am not sure of this however.