Simple question. Type of data?

So, there is a test that you can score 1, 2 or 3 one.

Each number is a fault category.

1=fail
2=pass with errors
3=pass no error

Therefore 3 is better than one. However, I have had to define such.

I still believe that this is ordinal data.

Am I being stupid here?

Miner

TS Contributor
No. Given your definition, I would agree that it is ordinal. From your phrasing, does someone disagree with you? What is their reasoning?

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Yeah... entirely ordinal. Just because somebody attaches numbers to something doesn't make it continuous.

Thanks for replies both.

So, I am trying to compare the scores given by two groups.

One group is an expert group, and the other is a novice group.

I am trying to see if the scores both groups give relate to each other.

The scores are going to be ordinal, in that 1= fail, 2=pass with error, 3=perfect.

These individuals scores make up a whole score for a whole test for one person.

Looking at some papers, some have used ICC, others have used kappa.

I have found a paper that uses an unweighted kappa for ordinal data (and a stats paper saying weighted kappa is for ordinal).

They used ICC for inter rater reliability who the whole composite score (7-21), and unweighted kappa for the individual scores (1-3s).

Confused.com

Miner

TS Contributor
  • Kappa is treating ordinal data as if it were nominal data. This results in the loss of information.
  • Weighted kappa takes the ordinal nature of the data into consideration, but results could be influenced by the weighting used
  • Kendall's is often used with ordinal data
  • ICC is used for continuous data or when there are enough ordinal levels to consider the data to be continuous (3 would not meet this criteria, but 7-21 would). There is risk involved in making this assumption.

• Kappa is treating ordinal data as if it were nominal data. This results in the loss of information.
  • Weighted kappa takes the ordinal nature of the data into consideration, but results could be influenced by the weighting used
  • Kendall's is often used with ordinal data
  • ICC is used for continuous data or when there are enough ordinal levels to consider the data to be continuous (3 would not meet this criteria, but 7-21 would). There is risk involved in making this assumption.
Thanks

Kendall's Tau??

Great.

So comparing rater groups for the individual screens (1-3 scoring system) using Kendall's

And comparing the composite scores between groups, ICC?

I feel I should also look at intra rater scores, but this would involve a further testing protocol as currently I'm trying to do "live" testing in the real world, and thus test-retest is pretty impossible!.... But if I was to do so....?

noetsi

Fortran must die
Why are you doing test/restest. ANOVA will test if there are changes from one group to another group in time, but I don't think that is what you are doing. I am not sure what you are doing :p

Well, thinking out loud here, if rater A scores participant A a score of 2 on Monday

We then compare all raters (in two groups) from Monday on all participants. If there is agreement between the groups, then great. But surely with only 3 possible outcomes, the chance of accidental agreement is high.

Thus, test then all again on Wednesday and Friday and see if rater A gives the same score for the same screw as they did the other days?