Small Sample Size Confidence intervals difference in mean

Hi everyone. I am currently working on report and have to analyse the 90% CI for differences in means. The sample size is 20 and the data is comparing weight before and after an intervention. So this is a paired example if I am correct.
I have checked and the data is approximately normally distributed. I can use the t-distribution and t test in STATA. For the small sample size am I able to use the normal STATA function ttest groupa==groupb, level(90) as per the normal ttest or do I need to use a different one due to the small sample size?
Thanks so much for the help.
AL

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
Is this for an assignment? If not, I'd conduct a one-sample ttest of differences versus zero and slap the 90% CI on the mean differences.

Is this for an assignment? If not, I'd conduct a one-sample ttest of differences versus zero and slap the 90% CI on the mean differences.
Hi hlsmith, do you mind clarifying a little. This is for a report. its hypothetical not a real life analysis. I was under the assumption the data is paired as its the same person at two different times (before and after) and therefore a paired t test at 90 level needs to be done. Not a two sample test unpaired at 90%

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
I wrote one-sample not two-sample. I would report the mean differences with standard deviation value and slap 90% CI on mean estimate and show it excludes the null.

Just curious where your 90% value is coming from? Traditionally 95% used and with small sample making it say 99% would help with assuring generalizability.

yeah i know. we usually use 95%. may just be a test to see if we know how to change it and interpret it. and it does explude 0 so that's good=)
thanks