Solved and Workaround tags

Hi guys,

How useful would you guys think it is if the mods started adding [Solved] or equivalent tags to problems that have been answered? This practice may even encourage help-seekers to do the same.

Its should make it easier for people to find useful topics when searching the forum.

Tell me what you think,

M.

bugman

Super Moderator
Re: Solved and Workarround tags

Likewise. This is kind of where I was going with the forum suggestions thread a few months ago.

Good idea. I didn't know how to tag a thread, googled it, and looks like the feature was disabled by default. It works now. :tup:

Likewise. This is kind of where I was going with the forum suggestions thread a few months ago.
Yep, but the discussion kind of died out. With this I tried to revive it.

Oke so I guess, I'll start adding tags to posts. What do you guys find more useful;

A) A tag in the title e.g. [Solved] post title or [Moved] post title ect ect
B) The tag system enabled by quark (as far as I can tell only visible in forum view)

Dason

Ambassador to the humans

Bumped for a good idea. This sort of died off after a while. Did we ever decided to tag it in the title or apply an actual tag?

trinker

ggplot2orBust

either one would be good but a cute little quark added button that says {SOLVED} would be awesome. And then after the title the thread gave a bracketed [SOLVED]

trinker

ggplot2orBust

Of course you'd (as in you TE) have to manually go into all the archives, figure out if a post was solved and manually click them. :) You up for it?

Dason

Ambassador to the humans

OR... trinker could try to crawl the archives in R using some textual analysis to figure out which are solved and then automatically update everything at once. Perfect solution. So get to it! (You can wait until after your papers are finished if you need to)

trinker

ggplot2orBust

You know the sick thing was that that came to my mind as I was razzing TE. :)

It actually is quite plausible.

The solved thread function is now added to the "Thread Tools" drop down menu just above the forums. When clicked, it adds a [SOLVED] prefix to the thread topic. A solved thread can also be unsolved. All TS contributors can solve and unsolve any thread. Ideally the thread starter should be able to do them but it is a bit hard to implement. I hope that somebody in the general vbulletin software community will do it.

In addition, we can automatically close the thread once it is marked 'Solved', and to re-open if marked as 'Unsolved', I haven't enabled this option yet, please post input and feedback here.

Have fun! :D

trinker

ggplot2orBust
Thanks quark.

In addition, we can automatically close the thread once it is marked 'Solved', and to re-open if marked as 'Unsolved', I haven't enabled this option yet, please post input and feedback here.
My opinion is leave it as it is now. Sometimes great discussion happens after the thread has been solved. A big closed shuts down conversation. A big solved says hey look at me I'm golden :)

I just regret I wasn't the first to use the solved thread feature. 2nd is first loser.

ledzep

Point Mass at Zero
Ideally the thread starter should be able to do them but it is a bit hard to implement. I hope that somebody in the general vbulletin software community will do it.
I tried to mark my thread as Solved but the option doesn't appear on the Thread Tools. I think it would be useful for an OP to be able to mark their thread as solved. Hope this will be implemented when possible (al beit difficult).