Spam epidemic

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Has anybody else noticed that there has been quite a bit of spam lately. Did something change to make it easier for spammers?

It pretty much looks like raw html code and typically takes up quite a bit of space.

Is there anything we can do to stop the spammers?

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
It's possible. They're typically labeled "modertated posts" but I don't know what that entails. Maybe another mod soft deleted them? But I think if they were soft deleted it would show up as soft deleted for me and I would have to do more work to actually be able to see them. (Or maybe my moderator fu is so strong that I get to them before you see them?) Maybe posts of that nature need to be approved by somebody before being able to be viewed by others? Either way they've been annoying me so if anybody knows what's going on let me know.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
There are a ton of them at the end of the Fleeting/Random thoughts thread. I checked if a normal user can view them and it appears they can't. I'm thinking that they're getting flagged by the content they have in them and are automatically considered "moderated" so that a mod needs to approve them before they become public. But there are just a ton of them and I haven't noticed this many before. It's getting annoying.

I'm wondering if there is something quark can do?

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
I know they're kind of annoying but would it be possible to add a CAPTCHA or something similar to the registration process?

CB

Super Moderator
Oh the irony: I've just deleted a spam post from this thread! I'll try to keep an eye on things a bit more often so that the spam doesn't build up while the folks in North America are getting some shut-eye...

Dason, when deleting spams, you can use the spam-o-matic option in the moderation tools drop down menu (last item), it'll report the username and ip to a spammer database, and remove all posts made by the user. All registrations to TS are checked against two spammer databases that are shared by many blogs and forums. It's been quite effective. But every once in a while a new spammer pops up and i think we are just on the front line today.

It's been there for a while, just easily overlooked because it's the last one. Next time you see mass attack like this, drop me a pm, I'll block their IP, ISP, domain, post keywords etc. and make **** sure they can never return.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Sounds great. I felt like today anytime I opened a thread I went to the "delete post as spam" at least once or twice.

bugman

Super Moderator
Yeah, this is true Dragan. I have picked up a few in the wee early hours (Southern Hemisphere), but don't see much during the day. Probably due to the Dason-O-Matic 2000 - spam deletion system ;-)

Thanks. If you see any similar spam again please use soft delete (not physical delete) so I can still see them. I need their registration email address. They usually have some common pattern and then I can block them.

Dragan

Super Moderator
Thanks. If you see any similar spam again please use soft delete (not physical delete) so I can still see them. I need their registration email address. They usually have some common pattern and then I can block them.

quark: Go to the second post in the Applied Stat sub-forum. And, now, the first post under Gen. Discussion.

noetsi

No cake for spunky
I have not noticed many (unless you mean my posts which probably seem like spam to more sophisticated posters).:) Actually this board seems remarkably free of such.