SPSS Aggregation Command?

dj54

Greetings all,

I wondered if anyone were familiar with how to aggregate data in SPSS by row. I have this relatively large dataset with multiple continuous values represented in rows of repeated cases, and wish to aggregate the values--ideally taking a sum--within one single row per case. Any/all thoughts would be much appreciated. Thank you--

DJ

I am not sure I understand your question. Are you asking something different from SPSS' Aggregate function? For example, if you had the following cases:

name variable
name1 5
name1 10
name2 6
name2 3

You can use the Aggregate function to save to a new file. Aggregate on name and sum variable. So your new file would look like
name variable
name1 15
name2 9
etc...
You can also keep track of how many cases are aggregated, etc...

Does this help, or are you trying to aggregate across columns?

Therese

dj54

Thank You!

Dear Therese--
Thank you for your reply. Your suggestion was helpful & corroborated further input I received from a campus consultant whom I spoke with. I appreciate your time & attention. --Dave

I am not sure I understand your question. Are you asking something different from SPSS' Aggregate function? For example, if you had the following cases:

name variable
name1 5
name1 10
name2 6
name2 3

You can use the Aggregate function to save to a new file. Aggregate on name and sum variable. So your new file would look like
name variable
name1 15
name2 9
etc...
You can also keep track of how many cases are aggregated, etc...

Does this help, or are you trying to aggregate across columns?

Therese