SPSS help

Hi, I just have a few quick questions. Statistics is not my best subject...at all, and I could REALLY use the help. I am currently in Research Methods and I have stupid, simple questions that I could use the answers too.

My question on my homework is, there are 40 participants split up into 4 groups. This particular instance, it is measuring how wall color and music listened to affects a person's relaxation, on the Likert scale. So they were split up into 4 groups with a combination of red walls, blue walls, classical music, and heavy metal. Main effect 1 is blue walls will be more relaxed than in the same condition as red walls, and main effect 2 is people with classical music will be more relaxed than those with heavy metal music, so on and so forth.

my simple question is, what are the independent and dependent variables in this situation? I always get them mixed up and confused.

Also, if anyone is savvy in SPSS, please help me. I am supposed to analyze results and everything, and I am just at a total loss...statistics is pretty much Chinese to me, so please help!

Karabiner

TS Contributor
my simple question is, what are the independent and dependent variables in this situation? I always get them mixed up and confused.
In case of an experimetal study, the indpendent variable
describes what you manipulate, the different conditions
under which the subjects are treated. The dependent variable
measures the response of the subjects.

With kind regards

K.