SPSS vs. XLSTAT

I am an SPSS Base user, and I'm ready expand my capability by buying a bunch of SPSS modules (Exact Tests, Conjoint, Forecasting, etc.). The price, however, is daunting. XLSTAT is about half the price and offers techniques that SPSS doesn't like TURF Analysis. I work in a medium-sized corporation doing market research. Should I switch from SPSS to XLSTAT? What are the issues I should consider? All opinions welcome.

gianmarco

TS Contributor
Hi!
I believe that all senior Users here will suggest to you to put aside SPSS, XLSTAT and the like, and to switch to R. I can bet on this.....
I do not wish to express any judgement (positive or negative) about R, since my knowledge of it is barely not existent, and I am moving my first steps into R in these very days.
As for commercial packages, I have rarely made use of SPSS and I do not like it too much. It seems to me cumbersome and to much demanding on PC resources.
I frequently use XLSTAT. I like it because:
a) it comes as an Excel add-in;
b) if you have the need to manipulate the data directly in the spreadsheet, it is what XLSTA allows you to do;
c) it is fairly complete as far as the types of analysis are concerned.
I could suggest you to take into consideration Statsoft STATISTICA. It is a very powerful tool, with great graphic capabilities. I do not like to much its multivariate analysis module (e.g., Correspondence Analysis, Multidimensional scaling). So, if you are interested in e.g. Correspondence Analysis or the like (as I can imagine since your are in market research), I would suggest to take into account XLSTAT.
Finally, I like the version 16 of Minitab. What I like much is the statistical advisor, and the way in which many results of hypothesis tests are reported, with a clear explanation of the details. This turns to be useful for people with a non extensive stat background.

I hope not to have confused things too much.

In sum:
I would take into consideration to use both Statistica and XLSTAT. The latter could be the right choice if something like Correspondence Analysis is essential for your purposes.

Best Regards,
Gm

Thanks much. This is very helpful. Should I be concerned about the quality of the LXSTAT product? Can I be confident that they are using appropriate algorithms?

gianmarco

TS Contributor
Hi!
Glad to see that my reply was of some utility.
Sorry, but your new question is something I am not able to answer.

Best Luck,
gm

R is a very different animal from SPSS or other traditional statistical packages. Powerful but challenging.

SPSS is pretty strong in market research areas. It DOES in fact have a TURF analysis module. It happens to be an extension command, one of many such free extensions available from the SPSS Community website at www.ibm.com/developerworks/spssdevcentral. If you install the Python Essentials from that site, SPSSINC TURF, which includes a dialog box interface and traditional SPSS syntax, is automatically installed. The current version of TURF posted on the website separately is newer and has some additional features.