Standardization of a variable

hlsmith

Omega Contributor
Depends on the purpose of your analysis. Feel free to provide more details. Standardizing isn't required in most models, beyond regularization models and centering interaction terms in regression.

Depends on the purpose of your analysis. Feel free to provide more details. Standardizing isn't required in most models, beyond regularization models and centering interaction terms in regression.

Example I saw this discussion:

https://stats.stackexchange.com/que...players-service-point-win-percentage-which-of

This guy asked to stack exange:

(My personal question which I would ask to you, are Question n1 and Question n2)

'' Hello, I am conducting a regression in order to predict a tennis player's service point win % i.e. the percentage of points he wins when he is the server. ----

Model 1 If my DV (Dependent Variable) data lies in the range 0.3-0.9, does it make sense to use a logistic regression?

-------Question 1) (Why does he ask if the data lies in the 0.3-0.9 range has it sense to use logistic? How is this range calculated? )

If using logistic I would endeavor to build a model with serve win % as my Dependent Variable and my Indipendent Variable's as:

+average serve win % of last n matches (maybe n=5 or 10) to account for form

+surface

+player ranking

+opposition ranking

..... Would this be a good model to use? Preliminary logistic regressions just involving serve win % regressed on surface + player ranking + opponent ranking ... are showing some strange results so im losing faith in logistic for this data.

An alternative I'm considering is to use raw variables in a linear regression type model with interactions.... Along the lines of Aiken & West 1991My dependent variable will be number of service points won in match, and my independent variables will be:

+ no. service points played in match + the surface the match played on

+ the player's ranking points +the opponents ranking points

+ an interaction between player and opponent ranking points

+ an interaction between surface and no. points played

+ average service points won in last n matches

+ average % of service points won in last m matches

Do either of these models stand out as smart or appropriate ways to model this data?

For context, for each player I have between 100-350 matches worth of data. I would love to hear what you guys think, or if you have any other suggestions on how to predict serve win % using the stated variables I would really appreciate it. I'm conducting this analysis in R so any code/package suggestions would also be great''

For my avg. serve win % in last n matches variable, I wanted to standardize serve % based on surface and player rank/opponent rank for all of my data, for better accuracy - so I needed to gauge the effect of surface/rank I ran simple linear and logistic regressions along the following lines: serve win % = surface + player ranking + opponent ranking I also ran these IV's in regressions of their own. The linear model results were pretty much as expected and were accurate/in line with tennis knowledge/theory. The logistic regression results were pretty wild and inaccurate.''

-------Question N 2 : (Why is he trying to standardize the variable serve%, based on surface? Why? And how can he do this? By running multiple linear regression? Assigning an arbitrary value to the serve% variable?'' How can he santardadize it?)