Stanine calculation

Hey all,
I have been trying to solve this problem without success, thus I'm calling for Help :(

Problem: There are 103 Italian provinces ranked by newspaper spread, and the one having highest spread is ranked first. The Florence province has with other 2 rank 27. Calculate the Florence stanine.

Solution: Now I think I cannot solve the problem without assuming that the distribution follows the gaussian (normalised) distribution :confused: Do you agree? If not can you explain to me how I can solve the problem?

Having assumed that I have a normal distribution, I would calculate the percentage rank of the Florence province using the following formula:
1. 27/103 = 26.2
2. 100 - 26.2 = 73.8
3. Florence lays in the 74° percentage rank
4. Looking in the normalised table I can see that this correspond to the stanine 6
Do you think that this is corret? Does not it matter that the frequency of the rank 27 is 3 and not only 1 = Florence?

Thank you in advance for your help
Alex

JohnM

TS Contributor
Stanines do assume an underlying normal distribution.

Their purpose is to combine the properties of the normal curve with a concise, easy-to-understand scale.

1,2 or 3 = "below average"
4,5 or 6 = "average"
7,8, or 9 = "above average"

They shouldn't be interpreted as precise scores, but rather "bands" that represent approx 0.5 standard deviations under the curve.

Scores that fall into the three different categories represent "significant" differences (i.e., 4 and 6 are not considered significantly different).

Hello Jhon,
first of all thank you very much for the quick response.

Then, from what you say do I have to assume that the way I have intended to solve the problem is correct?

Alex