State the last movie you watched and rate it

The Nice Guys: 2/5 stars. I'm not doubting Gosling's acting abilities, but I am doubting his comedic abilities. His timing was just awful. To be fair, the script didn't give him a lot to work with, IMO. Fat Russell Crowe was pretty entertaining though. The little daughter was a superfluous character, they really should have cut her. The plot was also extremely disjointed

Batman Begins for the hundredth time, still a perfect 5/5. Enough cannot be said about the influence this movie had on superhero movies and/or reboots. Reimagining Gotham as a true ghetto in need of saving was just awesome. One of the greatest movies of all time in my books.

Karabiner

TS Contributor
The Dreamers, directed by Bernardo Bertolucci, starring Eva Green etc. A movie from 2003. Watched it on TV last night, accidentaly. Young people creating an erotic and romantic atmosphere. Interesting reminiscences to previous movies (Godard etc.), all of this during a phase of heated political conflicts in Paris 1968. Would have prefererred some comedy movie, but anyway.

BTW this thread is quite boring. No harm intended.

The Dreamers, directed by Bernardo Bertolucci, starring Eva Green etc. A movie from 2003. Watched it on TV last night, accidentaly. Young people creating an erotic and romantic atmosphere. Interesting reminiscences to previous movies (Godard etc.), all of this during a phase of heated political conflicts in Paris 1968. Would have prefererred some comedy movie, but anyway.

BTW this thread is quite boring. No harm intended.
I guess it was about the French philosophy that assumes that partners should be 3 (and not 2), in order for a relationship to remain healthy. The same philosophy had been depicted also in "Vicky Cristina Barcelona".

Also it was about free sex and taboos about it.

I see a couple of movies a day so I really don't remember or care the "last" one. But the last one that impressed me was "The Road" which made me extremely hopeless and nihilist and depressed. A very good movie. (no, really)

I gave it 7.2 out of 10.

Last night I watched "Hail, Caesar!" which was awesome in every aspect. I give it a 9 out of 10. The way Cohen brothers play with and mock all elements of belief and faith is just brilliant.

DV Man

Daughter Rite (1980): 0/5 stars. I decided to take Intro to Film as my elective this year, and I am starting to realize that that was a terrible idea. This "movie" was bad on so many levels, I can't even begin to explain, so I won't, I'll just give you a quick summary:

A daughter is hated by her mom. Her mom is put in the hospital. The daughter confides in her sister, who she realizes she also hates when she refuses to put whipped cream in their fruit salad (I kid you not). The daughters make up, but then hate each other again when it is revealed that the mother asked the daughter she likes for money, and not the other daughter. They then walk upstairs and go through her dresser, where they find books and prescription pills for depression. They never realized their mother was depressed (even though I think they said that that was why she was in the hospital). The End.

Best of Enemies (2015): 4.5/5
A documentary about the debates leading to the 1968 election between Gore Vidal and William F. Buckley. Much of the political cleavages still present in America and elsewhere can be traced back to these debates. A lot of footage from those years (not just the debates themselves), and you also get a glimpse of how TV networks worked back then.

I might sound weird but I will tell you honestly that the last movie I watched was the Bourne trilogy- identity, legacy, and ultimatum. LOL It is quite old but I love the "hit" it brings. :)

Gangster Squad: 4/5. What a bad ass movie. You could tell the final shootout scene was meant to rival that of The Untouchables, and while it wasn't as good, the final physical, hand-to-hand fight was great. Everyone acted the hell out of this movie, especially Penn as Mickey Coen. Emma Stone was great smoking cigarettes and ****. Gosling was good as usual. I think the reason this movie scored so low on RT is because critics were expecting a mob movie like Goodfellas. That's not what this movie was. It was about the police force, and I really enjoyed it.

Cop Land is solid. There is also LA Confidential, which is pretty good. I saw Infernal Affairs way before Departed, so I was a little biased, but I get its appeal.

My top three goes:

Adaptation
Unforgiven
Rebecca

Then on the outsiders to round out a top 5:
Donnie Darko
Yojimbo

In my opinion nothing touches Adaptation, Kaufman hands down gets the best movie ever with this one. It is called Adaption and Kaufman wrote himself into the actual movie as a person trying to write the actual adaptation he wrote himself into. In addition, it is also skirting biological adaptation in its content. I usual hate Nicholas Cage in movies post mid-nineties, but he owns his role and then you have Chris Cooper. Side note, I can usually always watch American History X as well as The Hustler, Cool Hand Luke, and a Cat on the Hot Tin Roof. And anything Kubric. Well I am gonna make a free thought list now:

In Bruges
Zombieland
Apocalypse Now
Breach
Children of Men
Clockwork Orange
Collateral
Deliverance
Eastern Promises
Fight Club
A Few Good Men
Fighter
Gleaming the Cube (guilty pleasure)
Lolita
The Machinist
There Will Be Blood
Memento
Notes on a scandal
Mystic River
One flew over the cuckoo's nest
Perfume
Rocky
Shawshank
Anything Akira Kurosawa
Transpotting
Let me in
Rosemary's Baby
Shining
12 Monkeys
Bladerunner
Event horizon
Dark City
Interstellar
Fifth Element
Looper
Edge of Tomorrow (surprisingly decent)
Preditor
Stargate
THx 1138
Pi
Zodiac
Seven
Princess Bride
The Hunt for Red October
Anything Terminator
Army of Darkness
Ring
Anything Alien plus Prometheus
Planet of the Apes
Silence of the Lambs
A scanner Darkly (pretty funny at points)
Strawdogs (obvious the original)
Strangers on a train
Ravenous

Votes for saddest movies Elephant Man or The Road. I only watch The Road once and swore I wouldn't watch it again, and I did. But now I have kids so it was even sadder since my girls call me "papa". That and I am a big Cormac McCarthy fan and read the book right after living in a city with marshal law.

I would probably give all of the above movies 5 stars with a couple of 4 stars.

Now for shows, I loved the first season of True Detective and also the Deadwood series, with no close 3rd. Though, I guess it would probably be Arrested Development of Breaking Bad. Though I will say, there is just some near great TV shows anymore: Rectify, Leftovers, Halt and Catch Fire, etc.

Well I gotta go before on start thinking too hard about the ones I missed, and end up with my top 100 movies.

****! Nice list man. I'll rate all the ones I've seen. I apologize for not being in order, I have ADD, and my Vyvanse has worn off.

Donnie Darko: 3.5/5
Apocalypse Now: 1.5/5
Silence of the Lambs: 2.5/5
Shawshank Redemption: 4.5/5
Memento: 4/5
There Will Be Blood: 3/5
LA Confidential: 3.5/5
Children of Men: 2.5/5 (but an iconic, awesome tracking scene, with a great, great performance from Michael Caine. Julianne Moore was great too. Not sure why I have it so low, but I just remember that's what I gave it)
A Few Good Men: 4.5/5
Edge of Tomorrow: 3.5/5
Fight Club 4/5- [but a little overrated IMO. Fun fact, the book is set in Wilmington, DE, about 10 miles from where I grew up and still live. The producers wanted to shoot in Wilmington but the officials said no due to the violence :(]
Zombieland: 3.5/5
Looper: 4.5/5
Interstellar: 3.5/5

hlsmith's list got me thinking. I've listed all (seven) of my 5/5 movies, but never attempted to list all of my 4.5/5 ratings movies. I rate every single movie after I watch it on a 0-5 star rating with half stars. My ratings probably follow a normal distribution with the mean being about 3/5 stars, but I've never checked that (hm?). Alright, I'll list my 5/5 in order, but there's no way for me to list the 4.5/5 in order.

5/5
1. The Dark Knight
2. The Departed
3. Training Day
4. Spider-Man 2
5. Batman Begins
6. End of Watch
7. Gran Torino

Now for my 4.5/5. Again, no order whatsoever, not even alphabetized because I'm too lazy. You'll probably notice that I get fixated on one genre, franchise, actor and list all those movies in order, but again, that's completely convenient and coincidental; not planned. I also probably will have forgotten a few that I might add tomorrow when I can have coffee and Vyvanse and stuff. Alright, here goes:

4.5/5
The Prestige
Prisoners
Shotgun Stories
99 Homes
Spider-Man
The Dark Knight Rises
The Avengers
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Unbreakable
Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Blood Diamond
Shutter Island
Django Unchained
Eye in the Sky
Gladiator
American Gangster
This is the End
Pineapple Express
Captain Phillips
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction
Se7en
Reservoir Dogs
Inglourious Basterds
The Revenant
The Hateful Eight
Moneyball
About Schmidt
Looper
The Hunger Games
Insomnia
The Aviator

And more I'm forgetting...

After looking through a list of top movies: Saving Private Ryan, The Green Mile, Apollo 13 come to mind. 70's-80's horror flicks. Anything Stephen King. Has anyone here read The Stand? My unabridged version (1,000+ pages) is collecting dust.

Yeah I have read the long version of the stand and enjoy some King. i dig the novella apt pupil and book the shining. His books are so easy to read, but that is because he is such an excellent writer. 11.23.67 or whatever the date for the JKF book he wrote was very good. Of the list of movies I put above over 20 of them are book adaptations that I have read.

After looking through a list of top movies: Saving Private Ryan, The Green Mile, Apollo 13 come to mind. 70's-80's horror flicks. Anything Stephen King. Has anyone here read The Stand? My unabridged version (1,000+ pages) is collecting dust.
My favorite "70's- 80's horror flick" would have to be John Carpenter's "The Thing". Have you seen it? Great movie (3.5/5).

My favorite "70's- 80's horror flick" would have to be John Carpenter's "The Thing". Have you seen it? Great movie (3.5/5).
Great choice! If I were to pick a few: Poltergeist, The Shining. Every now and then I go back to The Exorcist (new tv show coming out soon). Almost forgot The Fog.

Last edited: