State the last movie you watched and rate it

Arrival: 5/5 stars, the ninth movie I've ever awarded a perfect score. Officially slots up to number three on the 5/5 list, pushing Training Day out of the top 3. What an awesome, thought-provoking film.

I just watched Imperium, a stupid movie. Everything predictable in advance. Unrealistic plot with stupid (completely predictable) twists. Very surprised to see it has received 9.3 on IMDB. Very disappointing.

The plot was obvious. It reminded me of cheap melodramas or comedies of 70s / 80s where a smart police infiltrates a group of ALL-STUPID ALL-RETARD people, and no one suspects him, but above that everyone loves him and trusts him and exposes himself to him.

All antagonists were extremely stupid to get easily fooled by the protagonist and trust him with all their heart and soul, and show him all their intents with slightest impulse. Even a regular guy is not that stupid, let alone people full of conspiracy theories, involved in crime, people who do not trust the government or those who feel they are being watched constantly. How can such very alert and hyper-vigilant people be such foolish?

Why somebody who ALREADY has all tools and crew to poison a city (and has already arranged everything) opens up to a newcomer stranger who has had tea with him a couple of times? It is easy for Mr. X to confess some private things to a stranger after a couple of visits, but why should Mr. X confess about his plan to kill a whole city to a total stranger, only because that stranger as well likes quality music and books? What is the motive? MrX wants to kill a city and die in the process, so he has to have a strong personality. Such a personality does not sacrifice all his plannings by trusting any stranger who has some similarities with him, and disclosing all his plans a couple of days before the action. But now we see a MrX who plans to kill a city, but trusts a stranger after a couple of visits and short talks about music, and then confesses about his HUGE plans to this stranger, just to feel loved by that stranger?!

Or in another scene, the radio entertainer gets mad at the protagonist and later goes to the FBI to say if that person did anything bad, I am not associated with it. When talking to the FBI, he was totally oblivious. He never thought that guy might have been an FBI infiltrator.

The only moment somebody suspected that protagonist is not who he claims to be, the protagonist managed to fool everyone by a short furious speech. Nobody picked up his body language and stuttering, but instead they believed his stupid speech. Funnier was that nobody cared to follow up on that investigation, although they were filled with conspiracy theories.

Another thing is that this police guy is a computer hacker / nerd and not a real cop with any crime background. Such people (their stereotypes) are not very famous for their social potentials, or improvising important lines at critical moments. This stereotype is famous for getting anxious in difficult social situations. Total bull****.

I give it 5 out of 10. I wanted to give it 6.2 first because of the good acting and score, but given the very unrealistic plot, it cannot get more than 5 IMHO.

I rewatched Fantastic Four (2005) yesterday with a friend. It's much, much better than the Fantastic Four they showed last year. At least for me.

The Shining (1980): 2.5/5 stars. You can hardly call it an adaptation of the novel, of which I gave 4/5 stars, but in steering away from the story, it did have some cool elements, notably "Here's Johnnyyyyyy." Still, the novel was much better, and I can see why Stephen King himself was very disappointed with the "adaptation." A completely different ending, less focus on Jack's alcoholism, and the portrayal of Danny was awful.

Mean Streets: 2.5/5 stars. (This is a 2.5/5 picture with a negative rating, as it is my only rating that can go either positive or negative.) I've been on a kick with older movies lately, and decided to give this acclaimed classic a go. Though it was mostly decent throughout, it really had no very interesting aspects or characters to it. I understand that Keitel's character is supposed to be torn between the Mafia and Catholicism, but with very few references to it or motivation, I didn't really connect with that theme. Also, his girlfriend was completely superfluous. Continuing my trend of immensely enjoying De Niro's early work, I thought he did a very good job as Johnny Boy, a guy who today doctors would probably diagnose with Asperger's and maybe even ADHD. The last scene with him was funny, where he calls his boss a jerk off. Still, the movie left me unsatisfied, with little action, conflict, or drama to it. The ending was particularly bad in my opinion and left me with a hollow feel. It's not the worst way to spend an hour and fifty minutes, especially if you have a subscription to Xfinity's OnDemand and don't have to pay for it like me, but there are also a hell of a lot more better movies than this one.

2001: A Space Odyssey: 2.5/5 stars. There a million interpretations to the film, and I don't have anything to add that is groundbreaking or hasn't been said before, so I'll just note my general observations.

The ape sequence was pretty cool. The Pan Am space line sequence was boring and largely useless. HAL his sinister plans was awesome. The vortex scene would have been cool if I had some acid. The aging scene was all right, nothing special. The last scene of the uterus was reaching for me (but I largely don't understand it). And as a general note, The Monolith did nothing for me; had no special bearing on my enjoyment/overall interpretation of the film.

You can see why I gave it a negative rating I guess

Manchester By The Sea: 1/5 stars. Honestly, I'm shocked this got a 97% on RT and is being considered for the best picture. I love Casey Affleck (in stark contrast to his talentless brother), and loved Kyle Chandler's work in Bloodline, but this was terrible. Slow-moving plot, weak character development (which was a focal point of praise from many critics), and overall a bleak premise, ending, and message. Even the cinematography, while decent, was vastly inferior to what I expected for being set in Manchester-By-The-Sea. Think About Schmidt (4.5/5), but just poorly written, shot, and acted. I mean, why the hell was Affleck's character constantly punching people? Did it further the plot? Nope. Did it bring character development? You could argue it, but not really.

I saw the movie last afternoon with my mom (who walked out, lol). Also, last night, I finished The Wire S1 (re-watching the entire series now). Still a perfect 5/5.

hlsmith

Omega Contributor
What rating would your mom give to the Wire? I need some kind of anchor or celling here. I am guessing she didn't like the movie? I have never seen someone walk out of a movie before. Did she just hang out and waited for you or did she abandon you at the theater to get as far away from it as possible? Did she let you know she was going to leave or was it an abrupt departure. Does she typically like Casey Affleck? Is this a regular occurrence with her or is this the first movie she has ever left early? How far along was the movie when she left? If she has left movies before, on average how long does she wait? Also, if she has left movies before, which movies were those. Does she only leave Affleck movies or is it a certain type. Does she only leave movies when you are around or would she do it when she went to movies with other people?

What rating would your mom give to the Wire? I need some kind of anchor or celling here. I am guessing she didn't like the movie? I have never seen someone walk out of a movie before. Did she just hang out and waited for you or did she abandon you at the theater to get as far away from it as possible? Did she let you know she was going to leave or was it an abrupt departure. Does she typically like Casey Affleck? Is this a regular occurrence with her or is this the first movie she has ever left early? How far along was the movie when she left? If she has left movies before, on average how long does she wait? Also, if she has left movies before, which movies were those. Does she only leave Affleck movies or is it a certain type. Does she only leave movies when you are around or would she do it when she went to movies with other people?
I don't get it.

hlsmith

Omega Contributor
I was just trying to figure out if the movie really was that bad or if it was just something your mom does.

I dig Casey Afflick as well. I always remember him from Drowning Mona. I remember afer the Jesse James movie searching for case control study and google kept auto-populating Casey Affect.

rogojel

TS Contributor
Eye in the Sky - totally loved it. I expected the kind of usual cliches with evil western technology that is no better in fact than the terrorists, evil terrorists and noble civilians , which is the reason I delayed watching it until on a boring flight. Huge surprise - no cliches , or at least not too much of it, realistic and clear discussion of choices paople have to make in war -- great movie.

As an aside, just watched rogue 1 two days later and found hilarious that eye in the sky had way more advanced technology then this supposedly sci-fi movie.

tegards