Stats Help

Hi All,

1st time post here. I have a project where I am to do some data analysis for a 5 year trend of all submitted applications. I am using Access and Excel. Anyways, which is the correct method to use when comparing percentages against years? I will use 2 years as an example. Here is sample data:

Type_____Yr1_____Yr2
A_________10______15
B_________35______22
C_________18______40
Total_____63______77

When I compare the 2 years based on percentages, which method is correct?

METHOD 1: Is it this (Year2-Year1)/(Year1)? Results:

Type_____% Change
A_________50.0%
B_________-37.1%
C_________122.2%
Total____22.2%

Method 2: Or is it this (Year2/Year2 Total)-(Year1/Year1 Total)? Results:

Type_____% Change
A_________3.6%
B_________-27.0%
C_________23.4%
Total____0.0%

Method 1 compares against the raw data...Method 2 compares against the percentage of the total application of this data. I am no stats guy, so I need some guidance from pros in here. If you do this, which is the more accurate depiction of the percent change against years? Thanks again, guys...

Caliboi

Method 1.

An increase from 10% in year one to 15% in year two is a 50% increase (change). You can also say that it increased by 5 percentage points.

Method 1.

An increase from 10% in year one to 15% in year two is a 50% increase (change). You can also say that it increased by 5 percentage points.
Hi Davipa,

Thank you. I am a little confised. What do you mean by 10% on Yr1 to 15% in Yr2? 10 and 15 are not percentages, just raw numbers. Please advise.