Strange behaviour with Cbind

Hi,

I'm trying to reshape data and as part of this I have a data object containing a data frame that can have multiple pairs of XY columns and around 400 rows of numbers. I need to run a function for each pair of XY columns.

Eventually I'm looking to loop through the frame and extract each pair into a matrix.

Here's my question :

The statement below gives me a matrix but it's no good referring to the file with names as I won't know of these in advance.

xy <-cbind(data$PageViews.2014, data$Conversions.2014)

In readiness for the looping I'm trying to refer to the columns by column number :

xy <-cbind(data[1], data[2])

This statement gives me a Data Frame rather than an n*p matrix.

I ultimately need the pairs of XY columns in a n*p matrix. What's the best way of doing this? I'd rather do it in one stop per XY columns if possible.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
That works perfectly. I didn't realise we could refer to frames like this. Thanks so much.
That's actually the way you should be grabbing columns from a dataframe. It's a subtle but important difference. When you grab dat[,1] you're grabbing the first column as a vector. If you use dat[1] you're actually grabbing it as a list/data.frame that has one element/column which is the vector you're interested in.