Triangular Distributions

I'm new to the forum and I hope someone out there will be able to guide me. My question is, how do you find the mode of a triangular distribution? I can barely find any references on triangular distributions, and the things I've found say that the mode = c, which is the value of x at the apex of the triangle. The mean is defined as (max + min + mode)/3. I've seen a case where someone rearranged that to say that the mode = 3*mean-min-max, implying that it's OK to estimate the mode using an arithmetic mean (can't find a reference). On a web site without references, someone else indicated that the mode of a triangular distribution is a "best guess." This is kind of rambling, so here are my basic questions:

1) Is there a way to determine the mode of a triangular distribution from a data set?

2) What is a good reference on triangular distributions that goes beyond mathematical explanations to some practical applications?

Basically, I'm trying to determine goodness of fit for a couple of different distributions for several sets of data, and I'm expecting to find that the triangular fits are the worst.

Thank you.