Type II error calculation

PBRN

My question: It is desired to test H0: μ = 55 against H1: μ < 55 using α = 0.10. The population in question is uniformly distributed with a standard deviation of 20. A random sample of 64 will be drawn from this population. If μ is really equal to 50, what is the probability that the hypothesis test would lead the investigator to commit a Type II error?

What I have done: read statistics text (Statistics - informed decisions using data) and the posted online learning by the instructor, multiple times. My calculations:

Left Tail Test: 55 - 2.575 (20/ sq of 64: 8) = 48.5625

P (Type II error): (50 - 48.5625) / (20/ sq of 64: 8) = 0.575

This should equal .7157 probability of a Type II error

I know this is not the correct answer. I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong. any articles or references or advise on here would be much appreciated.

PBRN

Where on earth did you get this idea from?
The inequality formula in the text is: x = pop. mean minus critical value times (pop. standard deviation divided by square root of sample size)

The probability if type II error in the text is: result of inequality minus true pop. mean divided by (pop. standard deviation divided by square root of sample size)

then using standard normal distribution table to get the probability

Again - maybe I am way off base - that is why I posted.

Dragan

Super Moderator
The inequality formula in the text is: x = pop. mean minus critical value times (pop. standard deviation divided by square root of sample size)

The probability if type II error in the text is: result of inequality minus true pop. mean divided by (pop. standard deviation divided by square root of sample size)

then using standard normal distribution table to get the probability

Again - maybe I am way off base - that is why I posted.
PBRN: Why are you using a critical value of 2.575 when the Type I error rate is specified to be 0.10?--(look up at your first post)

Dragan

Super Moderator
I thought 0.1 = 2.575 and 0.05 = 1.645 for critical values.
No, that is not correct.

Remember, you're only considering the left-hand side of the distribution because the hypothesis is directional.

The appropriate Critical value is -1.28155 for a specified alpha rate of 0.1 (when your considering the left-hand side of the normal distribution)

And, by the way, in your first post, the value of 0.575 that you computed is not a probability--it's a Z-score.

PBRN

Thanks for the help:

55 - 1.2875 (2.5) = 51.78125

(50 - 51.78125)/2.5 = -0.7125

-.7125 = .2358

again thanks, I spent hours going round and roung with this question.