Unbalanced sample - which test do I use?

I have two samples - group 1 has 26 participants / group 2 has 44 participants

I was planning to use a two-way anova to analyze various aspects of my survey, but now am wondering if I need to use Friedman's two-way anova or something completely different. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is some additional information:

27 - Male
43 - Female

26 - Ensemble Participants (college freshmen who continued playing an instrument in college)
44 - Ensemble Nonparticipants (college freshmen who discontinued playing an instrument in college)

Thanks!

Miner

TS Contributor
This sounds more like a 2-sample t-test or a 1-way ANOVA with 2 levels unless I am missing something.

Added: Just saw your additional information. A 2-way ANOVA will work. It is not necessary that the experiments be balanced.

Added later: This assumes that you have continuous response data. I saw that you mentioned a survey which often uses ordinal responses.

Thanks. I am hoping to examine the relationship between and among these groups regarding a variety of influences, beliefs, and scores in other areas. My understanding was that two-way anova was required to compare in and between:

Gender vs. Participation and the relation to "Academic Major" or "Dropout Proneness (score on a test that measures likelihood of dropping out of college). Does that change your thoughts or confirm your original thought?

My survey is all Likert scale "agreement" statements. "Strongly Agree" to "Strongly Disagree". The responses were then coded 5-1 (5 = Strongly Agree; 1 = Strongly Disagree) in order to make the "measurement" interval scale instead of ordinal or nominal. Does that make sense?

I also mentioned "dropout proneness" and "Academic Major". Dropout Proneness was measured 1-9 (1 = less likely to drop out) and Academic Major was (1 = Arts & Letters; 2 = STEM "Science, Tech, Engineering, Math).