Variables are awkward. Which test should I run for this memory experiment?

Basically I'm doing a recall experiment where participants are separated into 2 groups and asked to visualize the words in a specific context depending on the group. I am measuring how each independent variable does in recall (not interested in the interactin of the IVs with each other). Which statistical test should I run in SPSS for these variables:

Words recalled - word context (group 1 versus group 2)

Words recalled - gender (male versus female)

Words recalled - age (under 30 versus over 30)

Concrete vs abstract words

I already have most of my data. So basically I want to see what effect each of the first 3 IVs (groups, age, gender) have on the dv (recall). Again, with these I have no interest in the interactions of the IVs.

Then I want to see if concrete words are recalled more than abstract words overall. So I think I might need to run a different test for this.

I also wanted to mention that the DV is count data. I've heard that some tests are not compatible with this unless the data is converted to percentages (decimals), so for example anovas might be out of the question. What should I do?

Karabiner

TS Contributor
Then I want to see if concrete words are recalled more than abstract words overall. So I think I might need to run a different test for this.
While the first analysis concerns comparisons between groups,
the last one seems to iply repeated measurement data.
I also wanted to mention that the DV is count data.
What does this mean? Between 0 and 3 words? Between 0 and 150?

And, how large is your sample size?

With kind regards

K.