Visualization of Likert Data

AmyS

Hi,
So I'm currently analysing my data on a survey I carried out based on attitudes towards cognitive enhancers. Attitudes were measured on a 6 point(Strongly Disagree-Strongly Agree) Likert scale based on statements (eg: Use of cognitive enhancers before and exam is cheating).

Survey was distributed to 4 departments so I've done my analyses with the intention of comparing the responses between each department. I've used a one-way ANOVA with a Bonferroni post-hoc test for this.

Now, I've been trying to find a good way to present the data in a chart, there are 12 Likert questions and I have 105 respondents. I was trying to use a stacked bar chart but I've been having trouble getting it to work. Anyone have any ideas on the best way to present the data? Even google is having trouble answering this:D

Also I was trying to get SPSS to give me a table showing 1) an overall percentage of strongly disagree - strongly agree answers for each question and 2) a percentage breakdown of answers to each question by department. While I'm sure they're both possible I just can't seem to figure out how to do it.

Any help will be appreciated for eternity(and then some):)

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
If I understand the description correctly, I would create a table similar to any ol' table in publications. I would list the questions as row titles (perhaps abbreviate them if they are long or report a phase that covers the question theme. Then have the groups as the columns. In the cells you can put that group's mean response as a numeric. You can then add superscript symbols to group means that were significantly different. Then under your footer, present numeric scale for the mean responses (e.g., 1 = strongly agree, ..., 6 = strongly disagree). Then present another footer defining what the symbols represent, level of significance, and that a Bonferroni correction was used.