Want to be researcher- needs help

Hello all!

I am currently designing my first research project and am confused on what to do after I have my data. I have a basic understanding of Stats, but need direction.

I am a music therapist and am designing a research project examining the effect of music to reduce children's anxiety before medical procedures. There is one dependent variable (anxiety level) and one independent variable (type of music used. Where my question comes in, is I have two different measures of my dependent variable ( self-reported vs observed). I am confused as to what test would be the best to run to accurately show the effectiveness of the music with the two measures combined and then separately as well.

Any help or guidance you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

If you have any questions, please let me know!

My population is Children ages 5-10 who are entering a dentist office prior to a medical procedure. I am hoping to have 30 participants.

Independent Variable-

The independent variable is level of engagement with the music. The children will experience one of three conditions; passive listening, active listening or instrument play.

Dependent Variables- These will measure the amount of anxiety in the children.

The Self-Reported will be one number when the data is taken. This scale will be given pre and post the independent variable. The children answer a series of questions then based on a given key the total is calculated.

The same is for the observed data based on a video recording. It will be taken pre and post the independent variable and when calculated will be one singular number.

Purpose statement and research questions:

The Purpose of the present study is to examine the effect of three distinct music therapy techniques, which have been commonly reported in clinical practice or the literature, on the level of pre-procedural anxiety level in pediatrics. These techniques are passive listening, active listening and interactive instrument playing. Based on the conclusions and results found in this study, a preliminary protocol will also be created and discussed.
Problem Questions
1) Does the level of self-perceived medical pre-procedural anxiety in pediatrics differ between each music therapy condition: passive listening, active listening, and interactive instrument playing?
2) Does the level of observed medical pre-procedural anxiety in pediatrics differ between each music therapy condition: passive listening, active listening, and interactive instrument playing?
3) Is there a difference between self-reported and observed anxiety after presentation of music therapy intervention?

Sorry for forgetting to include this information!

Last edited:
victorxstc Thank you,

My pre-test and post test are both pre-procedural. I do a questionnaire, do a music therapy session, then give the same questionnaire again. After completion of the second questionnaire they go back for their procedure.

I did not include the post procedural anxiety because in my literature review I am focused on the reduced amount of sedatives and the increased direction following by children who are less anxious prior to the procedure.

I do plan on doing a follow up study where I examine the post procedural anxiety as well.

When you say compare the pre-treatment values, using a Wilcoxon test. You mean to look at the pre-test for each type of music?

Hi and Welcome :)

I have two different measures of my dependent variable ( self-reported vs observed). I am confused as to what test would be the best to run to accurately show the effectiveness of the music with the two measures combined and then separately as well.
It seems that a regression might be good. However, before we can help you, we should know more about your variables. For example, are the self-reported anxiety level or the objective one Likert-scale?

Please fully describe the nature of ALL your variables, as well as your sample, sample size, and any details, in a well-organized fashion.

-------------

So in this case you can compare the pre- and post-treatment anxiety scales, using a Wilcoxon test. Other tests might be used instead, but can't make sure until more information is received. Run a Wilcoxon for comparing subjective anxiety before and after music therapy, the objective one before and after therapy, and the combined anxiety before and after therapy.

If you have more than one kind of music, you can also repeat the mentioned steps for each kind of music.

Other tests can be performed, but first, before we can explain more about them, we have to make sure that you ponder your design, and re-read my previous post, and get familiar with your own design first.

--------------

I see you have added many details while I was answering. Its good :)

1) Does the level of self-perceived medical pre-procedural anxiety in pediatrics differ between each music therapy condition: passive listening, active listening, and interactive instrument playing?
For doing so, compare the pre-treatment values, using a Wilcoxon test.

2) Does the level of observed medical pre-procedural anxiety in pediatrics differ between each music therapy condition: passive listening, active listening, and interactive instrument playing?
I don't know why you don't include the post-procedural anxiety.

But if your question is about the pre-procedural one, you should run a nonparametric correlation coefficient to evaluate the correlation between music (three levels) and pre-procedural anxiety. The same can be done for the post-treatment anxiety.

3) Is there a difference between self-reported and observed anxiety after presentation of music therapy intervention?
Use a Wilcoxon test for comparing the subjective and objective post-treatment anxiety scores. Since you have three different musics, you can either combine their results and compare the subjective versus objective post-treatment anxiety scores, or can do the comparison for each of the therapeutic methods.

--------------------

I see you have added many details while I was answering. Its good :)

For doing so, compare the pre-treatment values, using a Wilcoxon test.

I don't know why you don't include the post-procedural anxiety.

But if your question is about the pre-procedural one, you should run a nonparametric correlation coefficient to evaluate the correlation between music (three levels) and pre-procedural anxiety. The same can be done for the post-treatment anxiety.

Use a Wilcoxon test for comparing the subjective and objective post-treatment anxiety scores. Since you have three different musics, you can either combine their results and compare the subjective versus objective post-treatment anxiety scores, or can do the comparison for each of the therapeutic methods.

------------------

You are welcome :)

When you say compare the pre-treatment values, using a Wilcoxon test. You mean to look at the pre-test for each type of music?
By "treatment" I meant "music therapy". I thought you are referring to "music therapy" by "procedure". So there might be some misunderstandings.

Please clarify your above three study goals. Since all of them are before medical or dental procedures, please drop "pre-procedural" as it is confusing.

While clarifying your study goals, please use "pre-treatment anxiety" or a similar word for the anxiety before the music therapy, and use "post-treatment anxiety" for the anxiety after music therapy.

This way you can understand better your design, and we too can understand it and can gladly help you.