What happens to T-Crit & T-obt when means decrease or increase? Clues are welcome too

I am having a very hard time with my Stat.Psych. homework regarding Student t Test for single sample, correlated and independent groups. I am not very good at statistical psychology although I do have a solid understanding of basic methods and definitions. However, this is a bit complicated for me. I find myself being confused and mixing up and misinterpreting these questions. Can someone please guide me through this? Hints and clues are highly appreciated as well.

a. What happens to |tcrit| if the difference between the two means increases?

b. What happens to |tobt| if the difference between the two means increases?

c. What happens to |tobt| if the sample standard deviation increases?

d. What happens to the probability of rejecting the null hypothesis when the value of  decreases?

e. What happens to |tcrit| if  decreases in value?

f. Explain how sampling error is related to the alpha level in an experiment.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Re: What happens to T-Crit & T-obt when means decrease or increase? Clues are welcome

Hi! :welcome: We are glad that you posted here! This looks like a homework question though. Our homework help policy can be found here. We mainly just want to see what you have tried so far and that you have put some effort into the problem. I would also suggest checking out this thread for some guidelines on smart posting behavior that can help you get answers that are better much more quickly.

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
Re: What happens to T-Crit & T-obt when means decrease or increase? Clues are welcome

Are you using any particular statistical software for the course? Do you have any practice data sets from the course? It may help to play with some data. You can potentially transform the data or subsets of the data (one group) then recalculate the t-test. Fiddling around with the data and the test, then looking at all of the output from the software will help guide you.

Also, start answering some of these questions and let us know where the confusion is, so we can help. When individuals post without showing any partial effort, those posts typically get few responses.