What statistical analysis do I need to make and how? (beginner question)

I have one variable 'Var1' with membership data (0,1,2,3 or 4) (let's say = no education, 1 = elemtary school 2= college etc.)
I have another variable 'Var2' with test score.

I would like to know how well test score coded by Var2 is able to predict correct
membership (Var1).

Can this be done? Then how?

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
Perhaps Ordinal Logistic Regression.

Side note, in the grand scheme of things wouldn't education come before a test score, so it would be the predictor?

Just looking at this in passing, it reminds me of bayes/contigency table style questions but with a continuous variable.

I'm fairly sure to make a prediction of the type you want you will need to establish/assume (either through sampling or from aother source) the proportion of the populations in each of your catagorical variables. However couldn't, off the top of my head, suggest the correct way of deriving a feasible and defendable model.

So if your sample is stratified and you have an artificially high number of a rare group (to enable a better estimate of the score distribution within that group) you'd need to consider the number of people in that group within the population you are predicting for.

Does that help at all? :)

JP

Karabiner

TS Contributor
I would like to know how well test score coded by Var2 is able to predict correct
membership (Var1).
Ususally you can only determine whether it is able to predict
group membership at all, but not how well. Or, do you have
a very large sample at hand?

With kind regards

K.