What test could be used?

Hi,
Thanx for your help in advance. Here is the problem I am having:

I presented my participants (in one of the conditions) with a stimuli and then asked them to rate on a scale (1 to 7) the strength, if any, of the emotional feelings they actually had in response to the stimuli. In the response scale, 1 was anchored as no feeling while 7 was labeled as very strong feelings. I am getting an average rating of around 3.4. Question is what statistical test should I conduct to show that these respondents infact generate some feelings (because average rating is 3.4 which is different from1 which is equivalent to no feelings generated) i.e. 3.4 is significantly different than 1? Can I do it?

Thanx again for your help.

vinux

Dark Knight
How many obs(sample size) you have?
you can try one sided wilcoxon signed rank test or one sample t test( if you have obs>30).

I have 26 obs for this condition and and another 25 for the second condition..so can I use this. If not I can run another 15 subjects:)

Thanx for your help!

vinux

Dark Knight
It is not comparing rating between condtions right? :confused:
Question is what statistical test should I conduct to show that these respondents infact generate some feelings (because average rating is 3.4 which is different from1 which is equivalent to no feelings generated) i.e. 3.4 is significantly different than 1? Can I do it?
I hope above is your question.
you can use one sample nonparametric test.

Check if the rating fit the normal distribution? In that case you can use one sample t test.

Regards
Vinux