While loop

Hello folks,
first of all sorry if my english isn’t perfect.

I working on last chapter of my graduation thesis and I have a big problem. I using the package Lasso2 in R and I need to estimate the parameter t with a generalized cross validation. For do that, in the package, there is the gcv function. So I wrote a while loop in R but it don’t working. So I need help.

Code:
i=1
tmax=1
t=0
tinc=0.1

while (t<tmax)
model=l1ce(y_m ~ x_m_1+x_l_1+x_r_1+x_m_2+x_l_2+x_r_2+x_m_3+x_l_3+x_r_3+x_4,bound = t, absolute.t=FALSE)
cv=gcv.l1ce(model, type=c("Tibshirani"))
t=t+tinc
i=i+1
I really need some help plz.

Mike White

TS Contributor
I think that you just need to enclose the code after the while condition in curly brackets as below. However, t and tinc are not being evaluated within the while statement so you could just as easily use a for loop.
Code:
while (t<tmax) {
model=l1ce(y_m ~ x_m_1+x_l_1+x_r_1+x_m_2+x_l_2+x_r_2+x_m_3+x_l_3+x_r_3+x_4,bound = t, absolute.t=FALSE)
cv=gcv.l1ce(model, type=c("Tibshirani"))
t=t+tinc
i=i+1
}

Ok tnx very much, the problem now is that. I have only the last cv estimate but i need all cvs, for all iteration of the loop. It's possible?

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Of course it's possible. Just initialize an empty vector before the loop and add the item to the correct place during the loop.

Edit: I didn't look too much into it but if what you have isn't a base data type you might need to use a list instead of a vector.

Of course it's possible. Just initialize an empty vector before the loop and add the item to the correct place during the loop.
Yes i trying for that, i already created an empty vector before the loop with

vet=vector(mode="numeric",length=i)
but now i dont know how add item on it during the loop :D

ps:Yes i worknig on a base data.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Here's a simple example that you should be able to adapt to your needs.

Code:
vet <- 0
for(i in 1:10){
   vet[i] <- 2*i
}
vet
Looking at your code there is no reason to use a while loop. Also why are you using an increment of .1? Why are you keeping track of i? You don't seem to use i for anything. You clearly know how many times you want this to run so using a for loop would probably be the better option.

Note: The code I wrote is one of the worst ways to multiply all of the elements in a vector by 2 but it serves its purpose as an example.