(Wilcox signed tank test)

Hi, I want to ask about the theory/concept behind the statistical significance tests to find out the p values. For instance, I got two types of data, one has the mean value of 75 and another 86 and the test shows there is no significant difference. How it is possible? These tests test depends on what? Mean, median or what?
Regards

Karabiner

TS Contributor
Well, what did you read about statistical significance tests and p values so far?

With kind regards

Karabiner

Last edited:
That it gives us an idea if there is a difference between the set of values or not? If we get the p-value less than 0.05, then we can say that there is a significant difference, otherwise, we can not claim it.

Karabiner

TS Contributor
The tests are about the populations from which the sample data were drawn, not about about the sample data itself.
p-values are a means to decide whether the null hypothesis (such as "in the population, the mean difference between
measurements is exactely = 0") can be rejected, based on the evidence gained from the sample data.

Maybe you should do some introductory reading about inferential statistics, tests of significance, and p-values .

With kind regards

Karabiner

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Karabiner

But when I perform the test, it says there is no (significant) difference though there is a clear difference between the mean/average of the two set of values. I am not sure what exactly I am doing wrong?